Kegging Co2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucrebrew

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just had a quick question on kegging/force carbonation. I have a keg of IPA I would like to serve tomorrow night. I chilled the keg overnight on Monday. Tuesday around 1 I set to 30 PSI and left for about 48 hours. Today I just purged the keg and set to 12 PSI.

Can anyone tell me whether they think this will be good for serving tomorrow night, or if there are any other tips to get the carbonation right by tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

if the keg was cold you should be good to serve. It might not be 100% fully carbed but it should be carbed enough to be good.

You can try shaking the keg around and see if you can get more CO2 to dissolve in the solution. If when you shake you hear the gas line hiss to put more CO2 in, you know your not fully carbed. if you don't hear any gas hiss, you know the beer is close to or fully carbed.

I would just let it sit on 12PSI at this point and leave it alone so its fully settled before you try and serve it. If you shake it up too close to serving time you will end up with lots of foam and unpredictable pours.

Try a little bit to see if it is carbed enough to be good. If not bump up the pressure for 10-12 hours or like surffisher2a said shake the keg at severing pressure. But be careful not to do this too late or you will end up with foamy beer with debris floating around in the keg.

Back