kegging co2 pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I am borrowing a keg to bring brew to the AHA conference in June. This is the first time kegging, and am a bit concerned about the pressure instructions. According to Beersmith, to get 2.4 volumes of co2, I should set my regulator to 26.1. I am supporting the keg at 68°. This seems awfully high a pressure. How long do I leave it at that pressure to ensure it fully carbs?

Thanks

T

So, I am borrowing a keg to bring brew to the AHA conference in June. This is the first time kegging, and am a bit concerned about the pressure instructions. According to Beersmith, to get 2.4 volumes of co2, I should set my regulator to 26.1. I am supporting the keg at 68°. This seems awfully high a pressure. How long do I leave it at that pressure to ensure it fully carbs?

Thanks

T

That seems about right at 68 degrees. It should carb up fully in 2.3-3 weeks or so.

Wonderful, thanks. All I need to do is check the regulator to make sure it didn't run out of co2, and then serve? No shaking, rolling or the like required?

Wonderful, thanks. All I need to do is check the regulator to make sure it didn't run out of co2, and then serve? No shaking, rolling or the like required?

No shaking!

I assume that you'll turn in the keg on Wednesday (or thursday)? They take your name, club, etc, and then chill it for you.

Make sure that since it'll be cold when you hook it up that you purge and then put with the other kegs to serve. The reason I mention that is that c02 pressure is temperature dependent, and when you chill the keg, it should absorb but maybe not so you can purge it and reset it to the correct pressure for serving- probably like 8 psi or so (or whatever you guys have it set for).

Also, and this is most important in my opinion, Grab my shoulder and pour me one of those in Philly!

Thankfully, others in the club will be responsible for setting up the kegs (nut the newbie). Thanks for the information, though.

I will be pouring at club night in the BURP booth (booth 1). The beer is a ~2% pale ale made with Citra and dry hopped with cascade.

Back