Kegging cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I'm far from ready to start kegging my cider but I was wondering if it different from kegging beer. Is the psi set the same? Line length the same? I had a buddy told me it is supposed to be 20psi (well his LHBS told him that)

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is no difference between carbing beer or cider.

The PSI you set it to depends on the temperature and your desired carbonation level. Some people like their ciders highly carbonated, like soda or champagne, but I prefer mine to be about the level of a moderately carbonated beer.

See this handy-dandy carbonation chart.

I set mine around 10psi @ 38*F, generally.

If you go for a more highly carbonated cider than your beers, you may need to look into longer lines.

Sweet. Too easy then. If rather have my cider carbed about the same level as my beer anyways

I carb mine a little higher than beer. I like cider that is light and crisp, and a little higher carbonation makes it more refreshing. I go for slightly over 3 volumes of CO2.

Its really whatever your personal preference is. I like mine a little bit more carbonated than beer as well.

Its really whatever your personal preference is. I like mine a little bit more carbonated than beer as well.

I like mine less carbed- but my friend likes it nearly as spritzy as champagne, so I'd suggest trying it several different ways.

A cool thing to have is a "carbonator cap", either purchased or homemade. You can put that cap on a plastic soda bottle, from 12 oz to 3 L, and carb up a bottle quickly. If you shake it at the correct psi, you can test out different carb levels.

(By the way, nice to "see" you again Ed!)

I guess I'll have to try it every way possible. I have 3 different ciders fermenting away right now. One is edworts apfelwein. I'm pretty excited for all of them

Back