Kegging Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlnash16

Reaction score
Hey,

I have my first batch of cider ready to keg. It has been in primary for three months and I would like to keg it. I have read that if you back sweeten that you will kick ferementation back up....but if I back sweeten with a few frozen concentrate and force carb in fridge will I have an issue? I don't have any camden or anything to kill the yeast off.

Also would you recommend to back sweeten or carb dry? Thanks.

I am thinking about brewing some cider soon and I have the same question as the OP. I will probably be kegging and will want to sweeten after fermentation. What are my options to make sure the yeast doesn't start fermenting again after kegging?

I have been trying to find the answer to the same question. I would like to bottle after carbing in keg. The problem, If I understand correctly, is that cold crashing really doesn't stop the ferment, just slows it to a crawl. Technically, if you leave it long enough in the fridge with residual sugar, you will have bottle bombs. The best way to prevent this is to stove top pasteaurize. I've been looking and experimenting with carbonated Flop top bottles, but have not had consistent success. (Boom) in my mind, The best answer would be to bulk pasteurize before carbing but after back sweetening. I know a open kettle method would lead to oxidized brew. So any body have any ideas? Got to be a way!

Not the exact answer to the question but you could backsweeten with an unfermentable such as Splenda… That’s what I usually do but we are Diet Coke drinking heathens in my household.

Back