Kegging Christmas wish list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to do much research yet myself, so I was hoping to get some suggestions from those who currently keg.

I'd appreciate help coming up with links to all the pieces I would need to keg my beer. I normally brew 15 gallons.

Just for example, which freezer/size would I need, how many kegs, which keg type is superior (ball/pin?), taps for the outside of the freezer, which CO2 tank, etc.

I know it's asking a lot, so any links or info is helpful to me.

Go to kegconnection to get a general idea of components. Their kit builds will show you what you need.

At 15 gallons, you'll need three 5 gallon kegs. I think most new kegs are ball lock. You can always use party taps for the time being. Check around locally for a 20# CO2 tank. For freezer, check the chest freezer specs and layout thread.

Components you'll need to start:
-kegs
-CO2 tank
-regulator, hoses and disconnects
-party tap, hoses and disconnects
-chest freezer & temp controller

I used party taps for about a year until I finally bought faucets. You could always start with faucets but party taps probably get you dispensing beer faster.

Check out the chest freezer specs here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=377518

Decide on ball- or pin-lock kegs and stick with one type. Ball-lock are narrower and taller (so fit better in a chest freezer with a collar) and have pressure relief valves, but they're more expensive. If you're brewing 15 gallons you'll need at least 3 kegs, but 6 will let you brew a second batch before finishing the first.

CO2 tank size depends on what is available at a decent price - keep an eye on the classifieds here and Craigslist - and how easy it's going to be to get refills. Having a couple of tanks is very useful; I run a 10lb tank to my keezer and a 5lb tank for general use (pushing starsan, purging kegs, on the road) and as backup. Always check and double check every connection for leaks.

Decide whether you want to be able to set kegs at different pressures (useful for different carbonation levels, or force-carbing one keg while serving another) in which case you'll need a multi-body regulator. If not, you'll just need an air distributor. Either way, be sure it includes check-valves!

Perlicks are the gold-standard for faucets, but there are plenty of other choices. Whatever the brand, forward-sealing stainless would be my recommendation.

Make sure your beer lines are long enough. Many places offer lines that are much too short - I'm running 10 feet at 10-15psi at around 38F.

As already noted, kegconnection is a great resource both for assembling a complete customized set-up
(eg. see http://www.kegconnection.com/4-faucet-basic-homebrew-kegerator-kit/) and for adding extra pieces. They also offer - and honor - a significantly extended warranty and provide all-round excellent customer service.

Final note: a sanke coupler adapted for either ball- or pin-lock disconnects (depending on which you go with) is a really nice addition, letting you run a commercial keg if and when your pipeline runs dry - much cheaper than 6-packs!

Back