Kegging / bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadensdad16

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing. In fact my first beer is still in the primary fermenter. My question is if I use the priming sugar in my bottling bucket to fill say 8-12 beer bottles can I then put the rest into a keg. I have a sixtel keg that I was going to use but not sure how to go about this. Once in the keg do I need to put CO2 on it or maybe just purge the oxygen out with it and let it sit. Any advice will be helpful. Thx
Tim

What kind of keg is it? You can definitely naturally carb in a keg, just purge the keg and then fill it up hit it with like 30 psi to get a good seal. Let it sit for awhile in same temps as when bottle conditioning, should carb up just fine.

As an alternative you could just keg it all, let it carbonate for 2 weeks on gas, then fill your bottles from the keg. That's what I do. There are several ways to do it, but this is what I do.

When filling a keg.

1) clean and sanitize everything.
2) hook up the CO2. Vent the top. Let more co2 in.
3) rack beer into keg
4) add co2. vent the top. add co2. vent the top. Add co2.
5) apply whatever pressure you want to carb at. If you are using sugar to carb, just fill it with co2 to hold the seal and then disconnect the gas.

Back