kegging between beer / soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repomanz

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Historically I've only put beer through my kegs/beer lines but I have an empty keg at this point and was thinking of doing a root beer kit and kegging it.

In between beers i typically run oxyclean, flush with water, remove posts and clean taps as well.

Am I going to need to replace my beer line if I keg and run root beer through my beer line and perlics? The last thing i want is my beer having a root beer off flavor :drunk:

Yes. You'll need to replace all the gaskets on the keg also. You'll need more liquid line to do a rootbeer anyways...so you're better off just buying a length of line for rootbeer only. Root beer will need to be carbed around 30psi. I needed 20' of line to pour it without the entire glass being foam.

If you use barrier tubing you can flush it out and not have any lingering flavors. This is mostly applicable to rootbeer followed by a lighter soda though, since running beer at serving pressure through the 20-30' of line required for soda makes for a very very slow pour. I second the reccomendation above for a dedicated rootbeer line. The faucets can be cleaned easily, so there's no worry about them holding flavors. As a general rule, once something other than SS is used for rootbeer, it should only be used for rootbeer, or possibly Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb since they're almost as bad.

thanks for the replies. Do you know if there good recipe site out there for clone sodas?

Back