Kegged Hefeweizen - Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
I just tried my Hefeweizen, which has been carbonating for a week. It has a mild sulfur smell, which I did not notice when I kegged it. When I tried it before kegging, all I smelled was banana and clove. It was perfect! What could have happened? I'm also assuming nothing can be done at this point.

Sulfur is almost always a yeast derived aroma. I'm not sure how common it is with Hefeweizens, that's a style I neither enjoy nor brew so can't say from experience. Generally, the sulfur will dissipate or lessen over time, so perhaps a little patience. When you pour it in a glass and let it sit, does it go away?

I haven't let a glass just sit for a while. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I've also been opening the relief valve on the keg in hopes to just purge it out.

In fermentation, I'm not surprised. I've had similar experiences with belgian wit yeasts. But this was bizarre because the smell was not noticeable when I tried a sample prior to kegging. I also did a 90 minute boil, and chilled the beer in less than an hour, so I'd like to think that DMS isn't the issue here.

The smell seems to be going away since I've been opening the relief valve on the keg. I just wish I could have avoided this somehow.

3068 has gotten pretty stinky on me, but not always. It's kind of unpredictable which batches are going to have the rhino farts or not. The sulfur always goes away with conditioning, though.

ETA: this is your first pull off the keg? Then you've gotten a big glass of the yeast that settled to the bottom. That's your sulfury stuff. Once that's drawn off, I bet the smell is gone. 3-4 glasses and I bet you're in good shape.

ETA: this is your first pull off the keg? Then you've gotten a big glass of the yeast that settled to the bottom. That's your sulfury stuff. Once that's drawn off, I bet the smell is gone. 3-4 glasses and I bet you're in good shape.

It was the first glass! I've only been taking taster-size samples since then. Maybe I just need to have a couple full glasses! :tank:

Back