Kegged beer, maybe it wasn't ready.. ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
I brewed a light summer beer that has an estimated OG 1.045 and FG 1.010 and my actual readings were OG 1.040, FG 1.012, which is quite a difference to someone who recongnizes this easily. It's my 4th brew, so I didn't catch it till after I kegged and carbonated. I wrote down the FG as I was moving it to the keg, then after I was done I went to get the paper I wrote the OG on.

Anyway, it tastes a bit sweet and now I'm assuming it's toast...? Since it's already carbonated. Damn rookie.

What do you think?

Yeast strain is a very important factor in determing final gravity. For OG, I just wing it when designing my own recipes and boil times.

Carbonating will not kill the yeast, so let it sit for a couple weeks at 70F or so.

^^^ That is not completely true... While Yeast does off-gas C02 Once you take a liquid that does not have CO2 in solution (At least in the volumes we commonly consume) and then push C02 into it to get that desired volume you effectively choke the yeast...

Remember Yeast may feed off of sugars and produce Alcohol and co2 as a bi-product, oxygen is a proprietary component that aids and produces a healthy fermentation.

All in all I'd say your chances of lowering your FG is slim once you've pushed Co2 into solution... Still... Maybe a little bit of time in the keg will help smooth out the beer and possibly mask that sweetness that you have detected.

Is it really that high?? I could have sworn it was closer to 3... Maybe I forgot the "1" in front of it? 3 sounds right though... ugh I must read now...

I'm not too confident, but I'm still having fun. Thanks peeps!

UPDATE:

It's been a little over a week since kegging, and the beer tastes sweet. Don't think I'll be able to finish it. Another wasted batch.

Back