Kegged beer life span

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphop

Reaction score
Quick question. Kinda new to kegging. How long does homebrewed kegged beer last in the fridge. The fridge is current set to 40 degrees and has five taps set up with an amber, two IPAs, a pale Ale and a Cider all homebrewed around the same time. I understand that the IPAs with lose some of the “hoppiness” over the first three months. I don’t drink often (2-6 pints a week) so just seeing when to expect off flavors, beer going bad. Thank you so much for advice!

Beer will change with time. Some more so than others, and will depend on process (especially exposure to oxygen). You don't so much get 'off' flavours....more lose some of the freshness with some beers (especially hoppy ones). Five taps is a lot for a 2 to 6 pint a week drinker - 5 kegs is about a years worth of beer!

You'll be fine. Just because you only drink a few pints/week doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to have a variety of things on tap. I drink about the same amount as you and have 4 beers on tap. Keep in mind that people come over and have a few pints or you may bring a growler of something and those things add up. Some kegs may last longer but the really good ones are the ones that end up going pretty quick.

There's also sharing, bottling from tap for friends. Keep track somehow (paper & pencil, penny in glass ea pour, or highly technical hydrofluid computerized flow devices) and I'll bet you'll need a rebrew before you know it.

Two to nine months, depending on conditions, the type of beer, the care with which it was kept from oxygen post-fermentation.

As a rule, after 3 months you'll probably see some degradation in some beers. There are LODO brewers who claim brewery-fresh taste at 9 months if the oxygen has been kept out of the beer post-fermentation. Probably true.

Hoppy beers will lose their flavor/aroma the fastest, as those compounds are especially susceptible to oxidation. That's why many people suggest drinking IPAs fast and fresh.

I have somewhat--albeit less so--the same situation as you. I have five kegs on tap, one in waiting, and another 5 gallons in the fermenter. I like brewing, and I like trying out variations in equipment and recipe and process. Problem is, I can't drink it that fast. This problem is (partially) solved by having others help me dispense with the beer. :)

I just wanted to add, since you mentioned a cider. According to other posts on the forum ciders are frequently aged for about a year. 3-4 months is generally the suggested minimum aging time. Seemingly ciders last quite a bit longer than beers seeing what the beer brewers are posting above.

DISCLAIMER: New to fermentation. The closest thing I've come to "aging" cider is leaving my ice cider in the fridge for three weeks (so far) because it tasted unpleasant immediately after fermenting for a month.

Back