kegged beer into bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I just submitted a few beers to a comp and had to bottle them. I cooled the bottles to reduce foaming and used a hose to fill them.

Of course they foamed up and made a huge mess and wasted beer. When I capped them, the neck was pretty empty. I hope that doesn't count against me in the comp.

Any other ways to reduce the foaming and waste for future filling? The hose works well with a growler but not a 12oz bottle.

Cheers

I just submitted a few beers to a comp and had to bottle them. I cooled the bottles to reduce foaming and used a hose to fill them.

Of course they foamed up and made a huge mess and wasted beer. When I capped them, the neck was pretty empty. I hope that doesn't count against me in the comp.

Any other ways to reduce the foaming and waste for future filling? The hose works well with a growler but not a 12oz bottle.

Cheers

hate to push a specific product but a blichmann beer gun or any CP filler is purpose built for this

I tried everything imaginable before caving and buying that beer gun... It's simply far superior to everything else.

i use a racking cane stuck in the end of a picnic tap. i place my tap with my line and QD in the freezer along with the bottles. get everything as cold as you can. then i drop my pressure down to around 5PSI. stick the cane down into the bottom of the bottle and fill. once you start to get to the neck slowly pull up the cane. fills to withing 1/2" everytime.

The one thing I didn't do was lower my co2 pressure. That may be the thing to do in the future.

Although I love beer toys, I don't bottle enough to warrant a beer gun.

The one thing I didn't do was lower my co2 pressure. That may be the thing to do in the future.

Although I love beer toys, I don't bottle enough to warrant a beer gun.

Did you look into the link I gave you? It's literally titled "we don't need no beer gun."

More or less it's what JDgator described.

I did look at the sticky. I'm planning on getting a new racking cane anyways so I could do that too.

Thanks for the assistance.

I've made the home made beer gun. I've used other beer guns. let me tell ya what is key.
1 you need a hose that goes to the bottom of the bottle
2 you need turn the pressure down to 5psi or just very slowly coming out.
3 Most important!! everything has to be cold, the keg, the bottles, the tap, the lines, EVERYTHING MUST BE ICE COLD!!!
4 when you pull the hose out top off the bottle so the bubbles are at the top, their is no room for O2.

Back