Kegged Beer Blackened and Metallic Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
I guess the title says it all.

My first time serving beer from a keg and had followed all the well-known procedures (dismantled everything, replced all worn o-rings, scrubbed and soaked everything in pbw, santised with starsan etc).

The keg was 2nd hand and came as part of a keg kit that included CO2 cylinder, picnic tap etc from these guys: http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collect...kit-with-party-tap-and-co2?variant=6309594883

The beer was a wit and, luckily, i bottled a portion and kegged the rest. After 3 weeks of conditioning the bottled beers are perfectly fine but the beer served from the keg was "blackened" ie the colour had a very dark grey hue to it, and the beer taste finished with a metallic bitterness.

I followed the shake approach to carbonating. I flushed the headspace repeatedly before setting the pressure to 20psi and then shaking the keg for about a minute. After disconnecting the keg was left in the cooler for 3 weeks.

What gives??

Might be a combination PBW and precipitated minerals. Can happen with too long of a soak in PBW solution which can precipitate minerals from the water. The deposits harden and can't be rinsed out

my guess is you are drinking the actual keg. Dump the beer and my guess is if you wiped you hand down the inside of the keg you would get grayish gunk on you hand. The keg likely needs to be cleaned and repassivated.

After some elbow grease and PBW this is what i poured out:

DSC_0037.jpg

To think this is what my friends and I were drinking....

Having just read about passivation I'm a bit confused. It seems that leaving the keg exposed to air alone would passivate it. But, I received this keg 6 months ago and after a PBW soak, some vigorous elbow grease etc I also poured out this black crap. I then dried it and left it alone for 5 months with the lid loosely on. Surely it should have passivated by itself, no?

Anyway, I've just given it a good scrub with one of those green brillo pads, rinsed and sprayed the inside with 50% concentrated phosphoric acid (I don't have any nitric acid). Let's see if that helps.

Back