kegged and carbed, can i still age it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I have quasi IIPA which is an overshot IPA that I kegged after about 4 weeks in secondary. While it's good, I think it could be a lot better with some more time on it. I have had it in the kegerator for a few days now. Do you guys have any advice for me as to whether I can still age this beer? Should I, or just drink it? It's got a rockin' 9.5% ABV.

When it is primed and in bottles, it still ages does it not? Of course you can age it... let it sit for a few months if you like. NOW CAN "YOU" still age it... don't know, do you have the strength not to tap it dry? :D

At 9.5% I'd think it would need a few more months of aging at least. Whether or not you want to age it cold is up to you. I think it'll be tough not to drink if it's in the kegerator though. :D

Well, I would prefer to age it at my garage temp (58-68F) to free up a spot in the kegerator anyway. Is there any advantage to aging it cold? BTW, My poor wife said "what a nice beer this is, but not much alcohol". I had to carry her upstairs yesterday. LOL!

Ok, I figured I could do this, but since kegging is new to me.......

Thanks!

Bobby_M has a great thread somewhere about benefits of warm aging. I've always aged warm so I don't have any personal knowledge of the difference however.

That beer sounds like it would be better if you transferred to 22Oz bottles and stored em away.

For my world, the taps are reserved for quaffers and session brews. Any big beers get kegged, carb'd and then transferred to bottles for conditioning / storage.

A nice IIPA like you have deserves the "ceremony" of popping a top off a bottle.

I have been aging everything for ages lately (namely because I am too lazy to bottle and have been sick so the kegs are emptying slower than usual). Aging is aging, whether it's in the secondary, bottle, or keg.

BierMuncher said:
That beer sounds like it would be better if you transferred to 22Oz bottles and stored em away.

For my world, the taps are reserved for quaffers and session brews. Any big beers get kegged, carb'd and then transferred to bottles for conditioning / storage.

A nice IIPA like you have deserves the "ceremony" of popping a top off a bottle.

Well, I did just buy a Beergun. Haven't tried it yet, so maybe this would be a good time. Love bottles, hate bottling. Only thing is, I can dry hop again if I leave it in the keg. Appreciate the advice Muncher!

Bobby_M said:
I'd recommend ripping it out of the kegger right now. Stash it someplace in a far off corner of nowhere and cover it with things that you have no business touching.

Done! I have it stashed in the corner where I hide my Westvleteren 12's! I try to age them; honest I do.

I know I'm a sick man for posting about this beer AGAIN, but; I yanked this out of the kegerator 12 days ago and pulled a glass for me and SWMBO just now. I can't even believe the difference. The cloying sweetness is fading and this is becoming a REALLY good beer. The opportunities to develop our beers into special drinks is becoming ever clearer to me. There are so many variables! Thanks to the board for all the help.

KD

Let it age more, it gets better. You can not rush yeast. The yeast work at their own pace.

Back