Kegerator that would fit a 1/2 barrel keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to build a kegerator. He is not homebrewing (yet) so he needs something that will fit a 1/2 barrel keg. What brand/models will work? My chest freezer is big enough, but I'd hate lifting a full keg into that.

I think most recent fridges are big enough. It boils down to building a strong floor to put the keg on when you take out the crisper. You have to make it shelf like to rise above the compressor hump to give you the most floor space.

Sizes of kegs here:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html

You may have to remove door shelves. That'll give you an extra 3-6 inches.

any of the commercial keg o rators will work. I have a professional model that came out of a bar when it closed. I can fit one commercial keg or 4 cornies in it.

JnJ said:
My chest freezer is big enough, but I'd hate lifting a full keg into that.

It's really not that bad. I'm by no means super-strong and I manage it pretty easily in my 14cf chest freezer. If you had two people it'd be a breeze.

Just make sure you have a buddy around when it comes time to pick up the new keg ;)

D2T said:
It's really not that bad. I'm by no means super-strong and I manage it pretty easily in my 14cf chest freezer. If you had two people it'd be a breeze.

Just make sure you have a buddy around when it comes time to pick up the new keg ;)

Somebody's been eating their Wheaties! I'm a big guy. I don't work out but I'm larger than alot of people. I can lift full 15.5 gallon kegs to a reasonable height. Usually onto another keg, then that distance again onto the shelf in the walk in cooler where I work. I'm sure I could get one into a chest freezer but in no way would it be "not that bad", or "pretty easily" done. With a friend would be better but in my experience friends aren't the most gentle and I would be afraid for the bottom of my Keezer. Either you are alot buffer than you are letting on or you are completely full of it. I'm sure you aren't full of it. :rockin:
Tell your buddy to get a fridge off craig's and build a shelf for the keg to sit on. Then make sure he don't buy BMC!!!:tank:

woosterhoot said:
15.5 gallons should weight about 117 lbs plus weight of the keg itself.
HOLY CRAP!! I knew they were heavy but diddn't realize they were that much. My converted keg feels between 20 and 35ish pounds... am I in the ballpark on the keg weight?

lol. I based my weight of the liquid on water, and beer is heavier. I looked at some conversion chart on the net that said a half barrel's liquid is 129 lbs (beer) and the keg itself is another 30.

Before I started brewing again last year, my Haier kegerator was filled with 1/2 barrel kegs. I picked them up at a local store how helped load it into the back of my Tahoe. I then used a dolly to wheel it into the house. It worked great till we sold the house and moved into a rented townhouse while we searched for our current house. I remember picked up a keg of Warsteiner and lugging it up the flight of stairs by myself, one step at a time. We only stayed 4 months, and the keg blew the day before move out.

I'm glad I don't have to move 1/2 barrels around anymore!!!

I'm happy with the Haier I picked up at Costco 3 years ago for $449. They get them in occasionally and Best Buy sells them too. I sold the single faucet tower when I started brewing again and upgraded to the 3 faucet tower. Works well, but I have to defrost the chill plate in the back a couple times a year.

Kegerator1.jpg

Plenty of room for 3 cornies & a 5# bottle of CO2.

Kegerator2.jpg

Grimsawyer said:
... Either you are alot buffer than you are letting on or you are completely full of it. I'm sure you aren't full of it. :rockin: ...

My buddies at work also said I'd never be able to lift it into the kegerator either. Maybe beer just gives me superhuman strength? :mug:

HAHAHAH!!! Sweet!!! It's probly adrenaline. heheh, OMG!!! I HAVE BEER!!!! NEEDS TO GO IN KEEZER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! And the rest is history.

Latest posts

Back