Kegerator Temperature Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorneliusAlphonse

Reaction score
I'll start with the background - if you just want to help me with the problem then skip the next paragraph!

When moving into my apartment last fall, I inherited a minifridge. "Great!" I thought, "I can start kegging my beer!" I turned it on once, hear the compressor click on and felt it start to get cool. So I set about converting the fridge - I removed all the plastic, bent the freezer down out of the way, moved the temperature control thing so the kegs could fit in. Finally, it's ready to go, and in mid December I put my first beer in a keg and stuck it in the fridge. Four or five hours later, I feel the keg and decide it feels too cold - so I put my thermometer in there. A couple minutes later I take it out - it reads -10 C (-18 F). I check the temp regulator dial thing, and it is set to the warmest setting. I was gone for a couple weeks, I left the beer in the keg but turned the fridge off so it wouldn't freeze. But now I'm back and I have to fix this issue.

Issue: Compressor runs constantly, regardless of temperature setting.

Potential causes:
1. The controller has a long white cable - I assume this to be the temperature probe. It sort of ran along the freezer originally, I think. As you see in this image, I tucked it through the freezer so it will still get cold.
2. The fridge may have been left in the apartment because it was having this temperature issue to begin with. In which case, the regulator is straight up busted

Questions: Do I need to get a new temperature regulator? Can I make it work without doing that? What is the least expensive way to get my keg down to refrigerated temperatures?

other images:
Temperature Regulator, Front View
Temperature Regulator, Rear View

look in here for the 'ebay aquarium temp controler'. costs about 20 bucks, and if you use in place of the old thermostat, you can control the temps very precisely. problem is, it could be that they relay (or some other component) is shot, which could make the repair more complicated. but, if your compressor is indeed running, then theres no reason a little effort and research can't get the thing wokring for you.

Thanks for the response - that looks perfect. However, looking at the ebay page for the item, it seems to have 240v as input, not 110v - would I need to use a dryer/stove plug for this? I haven't had enough time to fully skim that thread (it is pretty long).

I stopped by my LHBS and they offered a thermostat, but said it would cost $90. I could get a functional used fridge for that, so I turned them down.

Issue: Compressor runs constantly, regardless of temperature setting.

Potential causes:
1. The controller has a long white cable - I assume this to be the temperature probe. It sort of ran along the freezer originally, I think.
The white looking part is the capillary tube filled with gas or liquid depending on design.
The media inside the tube expands or contracts depending on temp and exerts pressure on the thermostat diaphragm which controls the internal On/Off switch.

I tucked it through the freezer so it will still get cold.
The picture is not clear.
The capillary tube must be without any kinks or the media may not be able to control the diaphragm.
Broken capillary tube will also keep the compressor ON regardless of temp setting.
Questions: Do I need to get a new temperature regulator?
Yes, if the tube is broken and without the media.
Can I make it work without doing that?
Remove any kinks in the tube with pliers if possible and try it.

However, looking at the ebay page for the item, it seems to have 240v as input, not 110v - would I need to use a dryer
They do sell a 110V version.
Do a search and you will find more than 50 post showing the 110 V controller in use.
The Love controller is one more option.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back