Kegerator Relay help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagertymma

Reaction score
So I got my first Kegerator recently. It's an Haier that had died on my parents. Rather than repair it they bought a new one and I got the dead one!

Anyway, I am fairly electronic savy and have pretty much determined that the relay is bad. (p6r8md or0505).

I couldnt find a replacement anywhere and finally called an appliance place. They stated that you cannot buy that relay alone, it comes with the compressor and I believe overload protector as a set. (for $130!!)

That seems like a lot for a free kegerator. I was wondering if there were any knowledgeable people that could tell me whether I could actually replace the relay with a different one.

I found p6r8md relays with different 2nd numbers. They look like the same size and configuration to plug right in. However; I don't know if there's a specific resistance or something that would create a problem. I would assume the thermostat triggers the relay, the relay makes the connection and send that power to the compressor... does it really matter so much what relay makes that happen? (thought I'd like to not burn down the house!)

Thanks in advance!

Hmm.
First, find a different appliance repair place.

Most start relays are the push on type. They may switch a capacitor in or simply connect the start winding to power.

On small compressors, they can be replaced with a universal replacement.

Check out
http://www.marsm-a.com/images/Component_2011.pdf

Refer to page C-33.

If you take a picture of the nameplate on the compressor itself, the technician will be able to determine the HP of the compressor and select a proper relay.

Supco makes a number of different solutions as well.
Look for something called a Hard Start.

Back