Kegerator or keeZer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmolledo

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to buy the all in one kegerator or build a keezer. What are the pro’s and con’s of each? Is there a cost benefit from one or the other?

I built a Keezer because I wanted multiple taps (5), nitro, and the capacity to condition and carb kegs not on tap. For me, the keezer was the answer. If you simply want to serve a keg or two, the kegerator may be a simpler choice. One benefit of the kegerator is that it's designed to do exactly what you'll use it for. The keezer is not.

Its a lot cheaper to build a large capacity keezer since chest freezers and Inkbird controllers are dirt cheap and work very well. The biggest drawback is lifting a 45lb 5 gallon keg over the collar or reaching the bottom to clean out any spills (or worse a few gallons of beer from a leak.) On the other hand, a leak in a conventional kegerator will be all over the floor.

As someone who started with a two tap kegerator (converted from a mini-ridge) and now has a four tap keezer: four > two. Plumbing the lines is also a lot easier in the keezer, and I've found leak clean-up easier as well - using my shop vac to suck up spilled beer inside the keezer is a lot easier than coming home to a gallon or five of beer all over the floor. If you have the space, a keezer is better solution in my mind. I wound up trading my two-tap kegerator to a buddy for a standard, unmodified mini-fridge that I use for temperature controlled fermentation.

I had a similar dilemma last December. I ended up going with the Kegerator as I wasn’t seeing a huge cost savings with doing a Keezer build. At the end of the day, I could order a Kegerator and have it operational in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to build a Keezer to my liking. The Kegerator met my requirements, you’ll have to decide what’s important for you.

I did do a write up on the perceived cost savings if you want to take a look.

https://www.brewginner.com/kegerator-vs-keezer-cost/

Back