Kegerator Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I apologize for this being my first thread but I felt that I needed to get some info before making a decision. I have recently started brewing and have lurked around the forum for a bit but yet to post anything. I have been planning on buying a deep freeze and using that for kegs but this popped up on CG.

I would like to have something that I can serve beer out of but also something that I can use as a "brew station" of sorts. Somewhere that I can put a lager to ferment etc... I assume the optimum temps for storage and fermenting will be different but this will at least get it into a controlled environment.

Like I said, I am a newb and not necessarily in a hurry for anything but thought I would throw this out for critiquing. He said it has everything but full kegs and it comes with a full bottle of C02. Thoughts, concerns, suggestions?

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/for/1887156431.html

if it works at all you're getting a hell of a deal for $250.

Ha! I agree that it is hideous but some spray paint or some liguid nails and diamond plate can make it look tasteful in my garage. Does my theory appear sound to be able to use multiple kegs for dispensing as well as store a few carboys for brewing all in the same environment? I am mainly brewing for myself but I like a variety :D

What are some questions I should ask? Never bought one so bare with me. Is there a standard manufacturer for stuff like this that I could look at some specs on it before I buy it. He is looking for a model number or some form of indicative info but I havent heard any as of yet. Thank you for all of your replies!

Do I need to ensure that the connections for a keg will be what I need for corny kegs or will that determine the type of keg I use? Will the taps, lines, C02 etc.. all be universal? Are there any factors other than it not cooling that would be a deal breaker? I want to make sure that it is compatible to what I need or will it determine the type of kegs that I would need to get... Again, I just started looking into kegs but from adding up the price of the freezer, temp control, tower/taps, C02, etc... this seems like a steal even if I am not ready to keg..

The keg connections are cheap to replace. (Like $6-$10 per connection.) Also, make sure to find out where he got the CO2 tank to make sure that they'll refill it from someone that didn't buy it from them, and that if they won't refill it from you that you can find a place that will refill it. (I'm going through that now.)

If you're dispensing from it and you want to ferment, you'll have to dispense at (likely) a higher temperature than you want.

As for CO2 refills, search welding supply, nearly all of them will refill. There might be a cost involved in testing the tank if it hasn't been tested in 5 years or more...

Depending on the cooling source, you could split that up into 2 chambers, 1 for serving cold kegs, and the other for fermenting in by creating a divider between the two with rigid foam insulation. Basically a hybrid of the Son of Fermentation Chambers see elsewhere on this site. Just add some fans, and a temp controller to regulate them, and its would probably be exactly what your looking for.

(Not knowing the exact details on the keggerator, this could possibly not work at all too)

From looking at the pics it looks like the cooling unit is on the left side so I am assuming that it maintains the entire box from one unit. I hope to go by and look at it soon. I will keep you all posted.

I made it out to the sellers house late last night to take a look. I called him about an hour before hand and asked him to plug it in. I got there and the inside was super cold. Big relief. He had a full 10lb C02 with a hydro stamp of 08 and a reg. Everything seemed to be in order just a little dirty from neglect in a garage.

I gave the seller some cash to hold it and I am coming over with a truck and a few guys tonight to pick it up. It weighs a TON!!! There were two commercial kegs sitting next to it that he asked if I was interested in and I initially said no. I asked how much and he said $20 a piece. I have no intention of brewing batches that large but thought if it was a good deal they could be sweet cocktail tables for my man cave (my entire house :D ) or to be used if I decide later. I have never looked into those types of kegs so I am oblivious as to their worth or utility. I spoke with my LHBS yesterday and they said they would make a "house call" to help me replace/rebuild all of the lines etc.. Those guys have been awesome!!!

Back