Kegerator Inkbird Probe Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm converting my fermentation chamber to a kegerator. It has an inkbird in there. I shorted the fridge thermostat wires together so the inkbird is the only thermostat. My question is where/how should I setup the inkbird probe so the kegerator is temperature controlled? I'm not opposed to hooking the fridge thermostat back up and moving the inkbird to the new ferment fridge. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I taped the probes to 12oz can's of soda stuck in an out of the way corner on the humps in the two I have, seems to work really well to keep things a constant temp.

I taped the probes to 12oz can's of soda stuck in an out of the way corner on the humps in the two I have, seems to work really well to keep things a constant temp.

I thought about mixing up a water/alcohol solution in a jar, canning it, and taping the probe to the side. Or even 100% alcohol just so the solution in the jar doesn't spoil

Attachments

• 4472CE93-3C93-48B3-8E5B-F1CEA07F399D.jpeg
    4472CE93-3C93-48B3-8E5B-F1CEA07F399D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
My buddy uses the Inkbird ITF-308WiFi for his fermentation chambers and the ITC-1000 for his kegerator/keezer control. He cuts it into the kegerator/keezer wiring and mounts it nicely. A bit better device for something like that.
1614901017457.png

He mounts the probe in a small plastic bottle filled with isopropyl alcohol in the corner inside, like this(but is closer to 80mL):
1614901361724.png

He drills a hole just big enough to fit the probe and then gets it set up so its suspended in the middle and covers the drilled hole with some silicone. That way he can move kegs around and not worry about messing up anything.

My Ranco controller went out (even after heat shrinking it) after a while when it was submersed directly in water so this time I figured I would try a ghetto thermowell to see how that works. If I had 1/4” copper on one of my jobs I would have used that instead.

I chopped up an old diptube and hotglued the end to make a ghetto thermowell. I have a growler filled with water with a stopper and the thermowell in it, with the probe inside. Works well for me!

I’ve ditched the ink bird in the kegerator venture for now. I just wired the fridge stock thermostat back up. The kegs just weren’t getting near where I’d like them to be temp wise (aka not cold enough) I have a thermometer in the fridge and will let it cycle overnight. Going to fine tune it over the next few days. All isn’t lost though because the ink bird is getting repurposed to the new fermentation chamber!

fwiw, I run my keezer with the controller's probe pinned to the side of a full (or the fullest) keg under a roughly 4" square of inch thick closed cell foam scavenged from product packaging, using 2" wide by two foot long velcro straps from Lowes. I use the same scheme in my fermentation fridges, doubling up the straps to accomodate my 6.5g carboys.

I've compared this setup with thermowells and the strapped probes were never as much as a full degree F from centered thermowells, and as the former are easier to deal with wrt sanitation and fitments, I've stayed with strapped sensors...

Cheers!

I attach the sensor to the keg with blu tack then covered with insulation foam and held on with a bungee cord to one of the kegs. The reading on this sensor is very close to the reading from an ispindel inside the keg ( when I've been fermenting ).

Already a huge difference 12 hours later. I poured a sample (no tasting since it was on a lunch break). It immediately felt much cooler. I took the temperature of the sample and it was 40F. That was really nice! I'm going to let it keep going till tonight and tweak the stock thermostat as needed over the next few days. I also have a fridge thermometer. That has been noticeably cooler as well. Good news is the ink bird will be moving to the new fermentation chamber so saved a little money there :)

Back