Kegerator Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
So my SWMBO finally green-lighted my kegerator purchase last night! (yeah!) Now the real fun/work begins. I'm looking for any and all recommendations on what I should buy to get me started. I currently have nothing needed to keg, so starting from a clean slate.

My hope is that I can scoop up a good deal online somewhere hitting a black Friday or cyber Monday sale, which means I don't have a lot of time to research and hence why I'm coming to you fine, knowledgeable folks. The only specs I know I want is the ability to hold 3 corny kegs and to have a two tap tower. It also has to look kinda nice as that was the one SWMBO requirement - that it wouldn't look ugly in our family room.

So HBTers....thoughts? Should I go pin lock, or ball? 5lb Co2 or 10lb? What's a highly recommended brand kegerator but not one that will break the bank (I'm looking for best value for money sort of thing). My budget for everything all-in is between $500-$1,000.

Thanks in advance!

Do you like to build things? DIY is a very popular option, and a lot of fun. Check out the "show us your kegerator" thread for some inspiration. I can't help you with commercial recommendations, sorry.

In terms of your other questions: it depends on what size fridge/freezer you get! If you can fit the number of pin locks you want in there, you can save a couple bucks by getting those over ball locks, though they have a couple other minor disadvantages.

If you want to fit the CO2 tank in your fridge, get the biggest you can fit. If not, I'd suggest a 10 lb or even bigger. It's much cheaper ($/lb) to fill the bigger tanks, and it'll last a lot longer.

If you want a conversion kit, check out Birdman or KegConnection, I've had very good experiences with them. I've heard good things about Beverage Elements, but no personal experience there. Check out the "company reviews" forum before you buy, I didn't know it was there when I placed my order. Ended up going with Keg Cowboy which was a mistake.

Other thoughts:

1) Spend the money now for Perlicks, you'll want to upgrade eventually

2) Buy more beverage line than you think you'll need and start out with longer lines (8-12 feet of standard 3/16" ID). You can cut them down if your pour's too slow, but most people have found that the standard 5' lines aren't long enough and they get a lot of foaming.

3) Do you like to serve at different carbonation levels? If so, consider a dual regulator or a manifold with secondary regulators.

4) Consider setting everything up with flare fittings (MFL/swivel nuts) if you have any interest in ever serving commercial kegs.

5) Also consider barrier tubing (ex. Accuflex Bev Seal), the cheaper stuff can leach plasticky flavors into the beer if it sits for a while (though tons of people use it and have no problem). If you get the Accuflex, you'll need longer lines, 15-20 feet.

Have fun! Kegging is pretty awesome, especially when you have parties.

:mug:

I can answer tomorrow - I ordered a two tap Kegerator with upgraded Perlick taps and a three gauge two tap regulator, 2 5 gal corneys and a 5 lb aluminum tank last Thursday and it all gets here TODAY (out for delivery). I bought a keg locally and a second C02 last Friday (I want at least 3 kegs and 1 spare C02 total) and was able to keg and carbonate my first batch of the WhiteHouse Honey Porter. Got everything from Kegcconnections.com who are doing the portable keg giveaway here.

Was going to do the DIY method but adding everything up - the cost difference was not that great for what I wanted to do. I ended up within your budget - excluding the spare stuff I bought because I couldn't wait) I didn't want to go with a used full size or mini refrigerator and wanted to house two kegs in a limited space.

Dave

Thanks for the information, that's all very helpful. Midwestbiker, your purchase sounds almost exactly what I have in mind. What brand kegerator did you buy? I've heard mixed reviews about Haier and Danby, but they are economical. I saw some websites selling Kegco, but I couldn't find much out about them either good or bad.

Thanks again.

It is the only two tapper listed on kegconnections.com (KR2200 on the invoice). I don't work for them nor do I get a kickback (but a free shirt would be cool) and to customize the Kegerator, you have to call Tony or Ben. I talked to both and they were both helpful.

BTW I don't know if it can hold 3 corneys or not but am told I can keep the C02 in or on the back of the unit. If the C02 is outside, I hope I have enough room for 3 kegs.

Good luck on whatever you decide

:mug:

Got it and it is all set up... One tap is the Whitehouse Honey Porter and the other is White Chablis

It will only hold two Kegs and is not difficult to set-up. I really like it and am ready to brew some more.

:ban:

WP_000150.jpg

WP_000154.jpg

Back