Kegerator Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKBoitnott

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been brewing for a few years now, always bottled. I finally was able to acquire a kegerator from my dad. Extremely excited!!!!

My dad got me a commercial beer to start (Devils Backbone Vienna Lager). We set up everything great, beer pours nicely. The big problem is there is no head retention at all. It forms a nice head and it's gone in 30 seconds. Beer tastes fine and well carbonated. Got any ideas why??

Technical info: co2 at 10 psi. Not sure of kegerator temp, glasses have neve had an issue before (I use minimal dawn with vigorous rinsing)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Set and forget. Been said on this forum many times. I usually set my psi to 30 for 24hours and then set to desired psi for 3 weeks. Also keeping the keg cold around 40f. Another trick but probably doesn't do anything is put empty keg in fridge night before kegging.
Also making sure your gas system is balanced meaning your hoses are the right length. That way you keep your psi constant while consuming and storing.

Set and forget. Been said on this forum many times. I usually set my psi to 30 for 24hours and then set to desired psi for 3 weeks. Also keeping the keg cold around 40f. Another trick but probably doesn't do anything is put empty keg in fridge night before kegging.
Also making sure your gas system is balanced meaning your hoses are the right length. That way you keep your psi constant while consuming and storing.

You mention the set and forget, but does this apply to commercial beer?? I was under the impression that commercial beer is already carbed.

The balancing thing is interesting, I looked it up. With a new kegerator, wouldn't it already be balanced?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back