Kegerator for freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Okay I have a full size freezer at work that I can bring home, it has a temp dial that goes from 1-5. If I turn it to 4-5 can the freezer get as high as like 40 degrees Fahrenheit? So I can use it as a kegerator?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Almost definitely no. It's still designed to freeze at the highest setting and will stilll need some type of other control to maintain temps above the freezing mark. You're lucky in that you have step one taken care of for free.....#1 get freezer, Good luck with it.

But I see people use deep freezers without control systems

But I see people use deep freezers without control systems

True enough. Check out this thread on how to hack your freezer thermostat to shift its effective range up where you can use it without an add-on controller.

Note going in that this doesn't always work, but I wager it works often enough that it's worth a try...

Cheers!

We also have a few fridges, side doors and old fashion bottom fridge door with top freezer door. Would those work better?

They will all "work", you just have to pick one that best meets your needs - perhaps looking forward a bit. Eg: I wouldn't bust my butt over something that could only fit two or three kegs if there's an option for four or more.

Beyond that, eventual location of said kegerator/keezer may contribute to the selection...

Cheers!

So a fridge will work enter than a freezer...?

Yes, as I said before, either will work. I couldn't guess what the actual split might be here on hbt but I see as many chest freezers used as I see fridges...

Cheers!

Back