Kegerator foaming/carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srmcnaughton

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've taken a look at some other threads on this so forgive me if this has been asked/discussed.

I've finished my dual kegerator.
Temp is 40F
C02 reg set at 10psi ish
Beer has been at that setting for 3-5 weeks
C02 lines 3.5 feet
Beer lines at 3.5 feet
I am cooling the ss tower with an aquarium pump which isn't quiet enough

The first beer is definitely foamy the second beer is just as foamy and the beer seems a bit flat.
pls help

Thanks

Looks like your lines are way short. Try extending them to 6ft. I serve on co2 on 2 and a blend on nitrogen on another… all on 6ft lines and not a problem.

Can you explain more on how you’re cooling on an aquarium pump?

Yeah I have I agree lines are too short. The imbalance of pressure from the beer leaving the keg is forcing your CO2 out of suspension causin the foaming which incidentally is making your beer go flat. Definately get at least 6' of serving line.

Alright, thanks!
Is there any danger to having them too long? Perhaps 8'? That way I could shorten till I get best results.

And as for the aquarium pump....
I am using an aquarium pump meant to pump air into an aquarium using a pump and vinyl tube. Me setup has the pump at the bottom on the mini fridge and pumps cool air up to the top of the tower. But I bought too small of a pump I think cause it's better but not best.
I might just try a dc fan to circulate air upwards....
Or perhaps copper tubes to bring heat down. But my beer lines have a long shank with a coupler below the tower that is too wide to thread the beer lines through a copper pipe.

Yes. Third that your lines are way too short.

You need to have at least 9 to 10 PSI of pressure loss in your lines keg to tap. Else foam will be your new friend.

The beersmith site has a good blog on pressure loss in lines and balance in the keg system.... I do not know the link but google will tell.

Cheers

Back