kegerator cooler for camping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
OK Feeling kinda dumb but I can't seem to locate any threads (I know they exist, I've read them) on a camping kegerator....

2 x 3 Gal cornies... plus a small co2 bottle (paint ball gun), 2 taps... etc. The cooler is on wheels.

Please point me to the thread... what size cooler do I need for this?

Walmart has a 60 Qt cube cooler for $26... Will that be big enough?

TIA

If you want to chill beer, and nothing else...go small

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/jockey/CWC50.shtml

If you want to chill beer, keep a few cans of other beverages cold, etc... go larger.

Some considerations for going small,

- easy to store
- doesn't take much ice/water to cover the entire coil

- requires more frequent ice additions
- can't chill other drinks in the space available
- easily tipped over

Big Cooler Jockey Boxes

- hardly ever have to add ice
- can chill other beverages in the ice/water inside
- hard to tip over, stable.

- heavier to lug around.
- take up more storage space.

There's a side benefit of having a Jockey Box... You can buy a few fittings and some hose and connect it between your hose bib and your immersion coil for chilling wort. The tap water in Florida stays around 70 degrees year round...So running it through the Jockey Box coil (in an ice/water bath) helps drop the water temperature before going to the immersion coil. I'm sure you could even add a water heating element, PID controller, and some more fittings and use it for HERMs brewing as well..

I built this one and it fits 2 3gal cornies real tight, but enough room for a small co2 bottle. The lid shuts nice without any mods. I believe you can use some of the other rolling cubes but the lid will have to be modded to shut right. This one has a domed lid, so it gives it lots of room.
IMG_3984.JPG

Jesse Thats what I'm looking for just like that. The original pic was posted I thought on a brew store website...

What size cooler is that?

Jesse Thats what I'm looking for just like that. The original pic was posted I thought on a brew store website...

What size cooler is that?

That is the 70 quart model. 2 three gallon kegs, paintball bottle with regulator and hoses, picnic taps with 10 foot coiled lines, and twenty pounds of ice all fit, with room left over for some bottles.

Used it at the lake for my birthday party last Saturday.

:mug:

Hmm I wonder how tight the 60 Qt cooler at wallyworld will be....

I guess I need to take a couple cornies to work for a lunchtime visit...

Where did you guys find the 70 Qt coolers?

I guess I need to take a couple cornies to work for a lunchtime visit...

Where did you guys find the 70 Qt coolers?

You can't close the lid on the 60 qt, even with one keg in it (I have both 60 and 70 qt cubes).

The 70qt is available online, and at Gander Mountain. I have heard of Target stores carrying it, but have never seen it there.

Yup I ordered mine online from target. I used to see them all the time, then when I wanted one I couldnt fine one except online. The 60 qt might work for you if you are ok with modding the lid other wise these go for atleast $50 from target.

Yup I ordered mine online from target. I used to see them all the time, then when I wanted one I couldnt fine one except online. The 60 qt might work for you if you are ok with modding the lid other wise these go for atleast $50 from target.

Gander Mountain had them on sale for $35 back in May, I lucked out on that one.

I think the 2.5 gallon kegs fit the 60 qt, you can close the lid with one 3 gallon in it, but not with the connectors on the keg.

Where did you get the drip tray?

keg connection, when I upgrade the number of taps on my keezer, I had to upgrade to a wider dip tray, so I just used it here.

I am getting parts together to build your version. What length shanks did you get? And it the cooler the igloo 70qt maxcold one? thanks.

well I'm not sure on the shanks but I would think atleast 3"-4", You will want them offset to either the right side or lef side to allow room for both kegs. The cooler is the 70qt.

Just got mine at Gander Mtn for 39.99. My 3 Gallon Kegs from midwest should be here tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend party. I Put a couple of corneys in the 70qt and one of them doesnt hit the bottom. Is this normal. I am a little worried about it being deep enough for the 3 gal ones. However, going on faith that everyone has got it to work. What size paintball tank did you all use? I have a 20oz one, but wouldn/t mind one a little smaller.

schupaul, did you get standard shipping at no cost?

I just went to see what shipping costs would be and it listed Standard Shipping at $0 Is this right? if so hot dog....

yeah, one of your 3g cornies will be tight and hit the hump at the bottom, so it sits about an inch higher, but with the domed lid you won't have a problem. I use a 20 and 30 ounce one, but I's sure even a 5# tank would fit. I am using one of those Kobalt co2 regulators they sell at lowes.

To revive an oldie but goodie; tonight I was able to mod the lid of my years old 60 qt igloo cube cooler. It fits two six gallon carboys with all connections and handles snugly. My only regret is taking too much plastic off one side of the lid. There is nothing to clasp the lid on the right side of the cooler. The top will need to be weighted down to shut properly. Glasses filled with beer seated securely in the cup holds will do that nicely. My wife aptly suggested utilizing a bungy chord. That's probably what I'll do! After all, this isn't for looks, it's for camping and outdoor activities!

I'll probably drill the holes and install the faucets tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I get the chance.

If I could buy again, I would go with the 70qt to avoid the hassle of modifying the lid, but as stated I've had the 60 qt for years and luckily was able to make it work.

The lid on the 60qt cooler will close with the ball lock connectors on one 2.5 gallon corny keg.
You can get two 2.5 gallon kegs in the 60qt cooler if you have one with connectors and one without connectors. You can get two of the 60qt ice cube cooler for about the same cost as one 70qt coolers. You could just drink canned beer and dream.

Back