Kegerator Conversion Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBrews

Reaction score
Okay, I'm very much a new jack on this topic, so bare with my ignorance.

I came across free garage fridge on craigslist and I'm going to be taking my first shot at converting it into a kegerator.

I'm looking for:
-Best place to buy a conversion kit
-What exactly I need to buy/recommendations
-Any vital advice that can be given when embarking on such a project

I'd like to have 3 or 4 taps.

I know it's a very open ended thread...but let's just consider it a beginners guide to saying "adios" to bottles and "hello beautiful" to kegs.

i bought a three tap perlick tower from homebrewstuff in idaho. really nice company and they had the best price. someone was selling a four tap tower in classifieds recently for a pretty decent price, but normally more than three can get pricey

Is this a stand-up or chest unit? If it is a chest do you want a coffin style with the taps on tower(s) or collar?

If it is a chest freezer with a collar or a stand up I'd start with a nice kit with Perlick taps then you can buy additional taps and a manifold or secondary regulator as needed. The nice thing about a decent kit is it gets you the CO2 tank/regulator, hoses, fittings, taps, shanks, etc that you need which gives you a good idea of how everything goes together then you can expand from there.

Nope, not a chest freezer, just a fridge unit with freezer on top and fridge on the bottom.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Back