Kegerator build suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdog22

Reaction score
I've happened accross an opportunity to pick up a free/working fridge. Freezer on top, not a side by side. Naturally, as a brewer, I want to convert it into a 2 tap kegerator so i've begun my research in this forum and via google, pricing out conversion kits.

What i'm looking at is a kit from this website:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/homebrew-kits.shtml

Seems they have alot of options for homebrew setup and seem reasonbly priced. I'm looking at this particular kit, with the kegs and a 5# tank.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/conversion-kits/homebrew-kits/SHCKBALLKEG2.shtml

I'm looking for input, suggestions and recommendations on whether or not this kit is worth the money or if there are better kits out there for the money. If I have to buy a couple corny kegs or pin lock kegs somewhere else, that's fine if the prices work in my favor.

Odds are, i'll probably use the "set it and forget it" method of carbing most all the time, too.

Thank you!!

get longer liquid hoses than come with that. Most every post on here says you need 10' cables, minimum.

Ok, I can probably upgrade the lines. Noted.

I know everyone seems to rave about the perlick faucets. I'll do some research on those, too.

Yeah, I have no experience with that, myself. What I've heard is that Perlicks are best because they are less likely to leak.

Yes, research the Perlick's.......Some folks are having leaks with them as well, and it is my understanding that Perlick is doing a "do-over" on the stainless faucets, with no intent on a retrofit repair for the existing leakers.

Yes, the new Perlicks come out about a month after I bought the 525SS models from Birdman Brewing. Maybe they will cut me a deal for the upgrades??? :)

I purchased a used 3.3 CF igloo off Craigslist late last week. I just figured out the naming convention the manufacturer used for the models. Will this work or do I need a 4 CF fridge? This looks awfully small. :(

Yeah i've been reading on the potential issues with that model of perlicks. If i do upgrade, i'll grab the newest model.

The fridge i've been offered for free, I just found out is a side by side, so i'm now trying to plan a built utilizing that space and making sure i don't make it too much of a pain to do a simple build.

Those kits are good. Its what i started out with and have recently built my own keezer and have upgraded to all SS and new equipment. I have 6-7' lines for my beer line and have no problem with foam. I dont remember if its an option for those kits but try and get all stainless steel shanks and faucets. Its more money upfront but they will last you forever with the proper care.

I've decided that if I get this side by side fridge, i'm going to cut out the divider in the middle, between the freezer side and fridge side, for the sole purpose of having more space.

However, I may have a lead on another free fridge that is a top and bottom opening fridge and in much better condition, which I think would be ideal for a conversion. We'll see how this plays out. Thanks for all the input thus far!

Not sure if lines run in the inner divider or not on side by sides.... If so cutting one of those will hinder the cooling part of the kegerator and back to looking for another fridge. The good thing is it was free and you are out nothing but time. I have heard many who buy brand new and the first hole they drill they drill straight through a cooling line! Good luck with the build! You will enjoy it tons and it will definitely be worth all the effort!

Thank! I've read around a couple times where people stated that there were no lines in that center divider to worry about. I can also fire up the stud finder and see if it spots anything before I start cutting.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered this yesterday:

nshckballkeg2large.jpg

:mug:

So did you cut open the divider or get the top/bottom fridge?

I am using a side-by-side but just the fridge part. I haven't decided if I want to remove the divider or put the kegs in the freezer portion and use the fridge portion for a ferm chamber.

So did you cut open the divider or get the top/bottom fridge?

I am using a side-by-side but just the fridge part. I haven't decided if I want to remove the divider or put the kegs in the freezer portion and use the fridge portion for a ferm chamber.

I'm suppose the pick up the fridge this Friday. I'm back and forth about cutting up the divider on this side by side. I'll probably just leave it alone if there's enough space to do what i need with it. Then I'll research on how much of a pain it might be to cut out the center and controlling temps correctly.

Kegerator is up and operational. Just needs some rattle can paint to make it look pretty again. Now I need to brew something up to fill the 2nd keg..

Back