Kegerator and fridge problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew5

Reaction score
I have an outdoor mini fridge where I keep six packs and a kegerator. Both stopped getting cold recently. Then I noticed the backs freezing, and now they have both completely failed and are thawing out and not doing anything. When the backs were freezing I could hear the compressor, now nothing.

Does anybody have an idea as to the source problem given they both happened at the same time power surge?)

Do you think it's fixable or do I have to spend a boatload and replace them both?

Thanks in advance.

I'd short the thermostats and see if that's an issue. Disconnect the wires attached to the thermostat then connect them to each other. If the compressor runs, you know its a thermostat issue. I had one like that and replaced it with an STC-1000 and now it runs like a champ.

I suspect that's probably not your issue, but it's an easy thing to check. It's strange that they both happened at the same time, but with them both being outdoors, it could be weather related and not necessarily a power surge or anything.

There is a compressor relay and overload protection that could have gone bad, but I don't know exactly how to test those. Do you have a multimeter that you can use to measure resistance?

Back