Kegco HBK163 Kegerator Beeping And Flashing E2 Code

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
The past weekend I heard random beeps in my beer room. Last night I traced it to the Kegco HBK163 kegerator. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes and then plugged it back in. This was when it started beeping continuously and flashing the E2 code. Was planning on calling their service department later today as it is only 6 months old, but was wondering if anyone else has had an experience with this.

It's a shame Kegco sells products with status displays yet does not provide error code tables in their user manuals/guides.
But, best guess is it's a sensor/thermistor error that is confusing the control function so it's calling for help.
I believe there are at least two such sensors, the other will throw a D4 error when failed.
But, yeah, you'll need to go to the source on this one for sure...

Cheers!

It's a shame Kegco sells products with status displays yet does not provide error code tables in their user manuals/guides.
I agree. The first thing I did was look through the manual for that particular error code.

But, yeah, you'll need to go to the source on this one for sure...
I was able to get in touch with someone over at The Beverage Factory. I was told that the E2 code indicates a bad Back Cold Plate Sensor. Sometimes this is fixed by unplugging the unit for an hour, however in my case it wasn't. They will be sending me out the replacement part today. Great service from the people over at The Beverage Factory/Kegco.

Good for you - especially in these times when who knows who is working and when :)

Now, if you get a chance, ask them for a full listing of all error and status codes that machine could display - and then post it here, for posterity.
It'll almost certainly be the first time it's ever been put on the web - because I sure AF couldn't find it anywhere ;)

Cheers!

Now, if you get a chance, ask them for a full listing of all error and status codes that machine could display - and then post it here, for posterity.
It'll almost certainly be the first time it's ever been put on the web - because I sure AF couldn't find it anywhere ;)

I tried to do this. When I talked to them on the phone they said they would have someone send them to me. When I didn’t get them after a few days, I emailed the person in customer service, who I had spoken with, that had sent me my tracking information. No luck from them either. These error codes must be a well guarded secret!

As far as the part goes, it arrived right away, so that’s good news.

Was it difficult to replace the sensor? Did it come with installation instructions?

Was it difficult to replace the sensor? Did it come with installation instructions?
No, not at all. If I remember correctly I unscrewed 4 screws at the back, on the inside of the kegerator to access the sensor, and simply unplugged it and put a new one in its place. It definitely didn’t come with instructions, as it was just in a small plastic bag.

Old thread but I had the same problem and wanted to post my findings. The E2 code does indeed relate to the Evaporator sensor in the below image:
1712158863776.png

The first line of technical support from the Beverage Factory is to unplug the sensor and plug it back in. In my case as soon as I unplugged the sensor, I could tell that the plug was corroded and a pin appeared to be broken. The Beverage Factory will sell you a new sensor for $25, it is called: "---Part---Cold Plate Temperature Sensor - Black for ZCK-163 [KC Z-0053]"

While I waited for that to show up I figured I would try to fix it myself. The sensor itself isn't what seems to fail, its just corrosion in the male end of the plug. These are JST SM connectors, you can buy them online with wires for very cheap. I just cut off the old male connector and spliced a new one on using dielectric grease in both the new connector and around the splice since it does get moist back there. This fixed the problem for me and I'll just keep the new sensor as a backup. Hope this helps anyone else having the issue.

My commercial Kegco has a Carel controller. Others, maybe not.

Attached is a manual for one such controller from carel.com. It lists alarm codes and contains other information.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 67a190cc-68ef-4f84-8a7e-e7373f7c8219.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back