Keg won't carbonate please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstroh1220

Reaction score
First and foremost I am new to this, as in this is the first batch of beer I have ever brewed. I am having an awful time getting my keg to carbonate. I brewed a milk stout and let it ferment in primary for 6 days and moved it over to secondary for 14 days. After 14 days I transferred the beer from secondary to a corny keg. My intention was to force carbonate the beer and have it ready to drink the same day. I purged the oxygen out of the keg and then began.
I set my regulator to 35 psi connected it to the keg and began agitating the beer. I have watched several videos on youtube and while everyone is different the one thing they all have in common is the ability to hear the Co2 continue to enter the keg while you are agitating the beer. I can hear the co2 leave the regulator and upon initially opening the valve I can hear it enter the keg. However as I agitate the beer by gently rolling the keg I can not hear any more co2 enter the keg. Despite the fact, I continued this gentle rolling for 20 minutes and let keg set for a few hours. I disconnected my lines and released the pressure from the keg so I could set it to serving pressure (8-10 psi).
I poured a small glass and it was all foam. I figured it was not big deal as I had agitated the beer so once it settled I tried it and it was flat. Assuming I was a newb and did not understand what I was doing I decided to try a different approach. I set by co2 to 30 psi hooked everything back up and let it sit for 5 days. Once again I released the co2 and set to serving pressure and achieved the same result.
The c02 is entering the keg, I know it is because I am releasing pressure every time I set it to serving pressure but I still checked for leaks. There are none. When I pour a beer it is extremely foamy (5 foot liquid line) and extremely flat. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated!

I think you overcarbed it, and when you pour, all that CO2 is releasing.

I don't think you have a leak; if you did, when you were rolling and agitating the keg, you'd have had beer in your lap.

Force carbing is a touchy thing. I once did the rolling thing for about 10 minutes (I think at 36psi), and I managed to overcarb it.

That appears to be the case, after quickly researching it over carbonation seems to check all the boxes. So I would need to balance the carbonation out and I would achieve that by leaving it sit at serving psi for a few days and occasionally releasing pressure in the keg? Will this fix the "flat flavor" and the foam issue?

Greetings, @Dstroh1220, and welcome to HBT!

Given the applied regimen, this could be the most over-carbonated keg of beer in HBT history :D
A glass full of foam once settled will be flatter than the bottom pancake in a stack.

Here's one way to speed up the process of knocking the excess CO2 out of that keg and tame the beast within...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/overcarbed-keg-heres-an-instant-solution.127655/

Note I do not recommend the particular setup used in the first post unless you're the heir to a pressure gauge manufacturer.
Just lock the PRV open and go with the s l o w bubbling through the Out (long) dip tube...

Cheers! :mug:

Back