Keg will not pour....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickn59

Reaction score
So I'm going nuts. I've just moved and unpacked everything. Took all lines off the keg and cleaned them. Finally hooked it up, but nothing is happening. I made sure nothing is frozen. When I pull the release vaulve or whatever co2 comes out so I know it is getting to the keg.... I actually undid the hose to the faucet and opened it to know throw to see if there was blockage. There wasn't... Could my leg be bad?

There's either a clog in the liquid side somewhere or your liquid poppet is not depressing fully when the disconnect is attached. What happens if you put CO2 in the keg and with the liquid disconnect not attached, you attempt to depress the poppet manually with a Phillips screwdriver or something similar? Warning: if the poppet allows beer to flow when you do this, you will get a beer shower, so plan accordingly.

Ok. Pressed top with screwdriver after being conected to co2. Nothing. So I don't think it's getting pressed down far enough by the tap or something inside messed up...

I don't mean any offense by this, but perhaps you have the disconnects attached to the wrong poppets? So, your beer line disconnect is attached to the gas-in poppet thus not being able to push beer to your faucet but only CO2.

You only need to depress the poppet enough for its little gasket to unseal - a scant 64th of an inch should be plenty. If you didn't get a beer shower, either the dip tube or the post is plugged.

That said, a poppet should be able to move much more than that, a few sixteenths of an inch, I expect, though I've never actually measured the travel...

Cheers!

I have it hooked up the same as it was for the last keg. This is just a new keg. Relished it down. Don't fly out at me but a little bit comes out of the top.

Three things to check first:

Beer line disconnect not seated fully.

Beer (out) diptube clogged.

Beer (out) poppet clogged.

It sounds like a clogged dip tube. Connect CO2 to your liquid out line to clear it.
I recently had the same problem w/ a highly dry hopped Black IPA.

I have had this issue a few times and almost always was a clogged dip tube. If thats the case, disconnect the gas, relieve the pressure and you can take the liquid out dip tube out to inspect. Just keep the relief valve open as you take the dip tube out.

I think it's the poppet's spring that's too long/too tight. The QD's spring can't push it down far enough. It's the balance between the 2 springs that keeps it open.

Are those universal poppets on your new keg? You can clip a piece off of them to make them shorter/less tight.

He's manually trying to press the poppet down and getting a dribble.
We haven't even gotten to the whole universal poppet spring too tall thing yet ;)

Cheers!

Back