Keg Weld Patching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProzHack

Reaction score
I've read through a couple of postings here, but there's an overwhelming amount that I'm not sure is useful... so here's my question/problem:

I took my kegs to a welder who had some serious issues with the welding of kegs which had thin stainless steel. After "fixing" one or two pinholes, he created 6 more b/c the weld popped out and he had to fill in with lots of metal. Well needless to say, it's still f'kd up. Due to his attitude, I'm looking to resolve with some silver soldering. I picked up the "Stay Brite" kit which has silver/tin solder and Stay-Clean liquid flux. I tried to sand paper the surface, but the pits are unreachable and crack like. When applying my propane torch, I boiled off the flux and the solder metal just beaded up and laughed at me... what's the deal??? Please help me get on the path to all grain!!! :drunk:

Attitude? Sounds like he had attitude because he didn't have competence. Surely there are welders in Minneapolis who know what they are doing with thin stainless steel. It does not sound like he belongs on that list. I would resolve the issue with someone who has experience with this. Solder can fill the gap between pieces to attach them. Filling holes??? I'd find a better welder.

Unfortunately it sounds like a scenario where all qualified welders weld, but not everyone that welds is a qualified welder. That's a bummer.

I know nothing of soldering kegs, but there does seem to be info on here and on YouTube. Do a little more research, I'm sure the solution is available.

As far as your "welder". . . I sure hope you didn't have to pay for his incompetence. There are lots of skilled welders out there, I would just find another one. What the hell was he trying to weld with? There's a lot of material a helluva lot thinner than the wall of a keg.

Solder will only stick to areas that are completely clean. Don't put the flame on the spot to be soldered, let the heat move in from a slightly distant area so you don't burn the flux.

ive never used that flux, and it doesnt expressly say on its website that its NOT for stainless steel, but you need an acid based flux for removing the chrome oxide on stainless steels. try to find a flux that specifically says for use on stainless.

Back