keg was sealed before i started playing with it, now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
Yesterday I just grabbed one of the four kegs i bought from a member here and went about cleaning and replacing all the seals. No big deal, i did this with my last two and it was fine.

First i had to vent A LOT of gas to purge the keg. After that it was the normal cleaning and lubing and such. Well, i can't get the lid o-ring to seal property now.

I first tested with what and turning the keg upside down, wouldn't seal. Re lubed and still nothing. Then i thought i'd put some gas on it to see.

Well, i didn't have a lot of water in the keg when i did this, but the small amount of gas i put on the keg (~8 lbs) for a few seconds did nothing. I could hear it leaking and used star san to confirm it was from the lid.

At that point i was tired and mad so i gave up. SHould i have hit it with more gas or at a higher PSI? I never had to do this with my old kegs. I am worried that hitting it with 30 PSI to 'seat' the lid could lead to problems later if i don't use that much gas to carb with. Wont the beer absorb the CO2 it needs and the lid relax from the drop in pressure and leak? Am i over thinking this?

We are going away for a few days so i didn't want to do anything that would require close monitoring of the keg.

Thanks.

Also, the top of the liquid post is slightly bent down. Not much but like the lip above the o-ring is pinched down just a touch. Any danger from this?

I hear you can put a dime or penny under the feet on the lid and that might help.

If nothing is leaking out of the liquid post, the you're probably OK.

I hear you can put a dime or penny under the feet on the lid and that might help.

If nothing is leaking out of the liquid post, the you're probably OK.

Ha ha, tried the dime trick too while i was at it. Forgot to add that to the original post.

Thanks though

It was a new o-ring and i tried the lid every which way. The only thing i didn't try was flipping the lid around and using the dimes.

I might see if switching the current ring with another new o-ring might help. I should probably have messed with it today to see if i was just being stupid yesterday, but i haven't.

I'm assuming you only did this one keg and didn't switch the lid with another inadvertently? I did that once... Since you've already turned the lid, lubed it, tried the dime trick, etc... What if you just hit it with more pressure? I usually hit mine with 20+ to get them to seal properly. Most seal well just clamping, but those rings are pretty thick- remember, these things are built to hold 130 PSI. I don't mind 20+ PSI blast to ensure a good seal and protect my beer!

I'm going to have to put this on hold for a week as we are traveling. I will hit it with more pressure when we get back. Thanks for all the help.

You can turn up the pressure to 100 psi if necassary..soda is carbonated at this pressure so there is no harm in turning it up....you may want to ask the vender to help with replacement parts if your lid isn't seating correctly

I've had that issue also. Just hit it with a lot of gas, it'll seal. You can then bleed out the pressure, mine have always stayed sealed.

I've never had to go over 25-30 lbs to get the keg to seal.

Back