Keg to Keggle fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I have obtained a legal 15.5 gal keg. I am looking for the fittings needed just for the ball valve for now, i want a thermometer but I think they require welding? Im going to do a weldless ball valve, i did research and see the rubber 0 rings.... dont these melt? Its not for a mash tun it a brew kettle with fire under it for an hour.... these rings hold up? I want to go to home depot or other hardware stores today to get the valve pieces. Im going to go SS and think its alot cheaper than online. Unless anyone begs to differ please let me know if there is a site with a package at a good price. I dont mind paying a little more for all the right parts in a bundle. So i need a 1/2" ss ball valve and a barb for it as well as a bulkhead? Should I buy another screen tube for inside the kettle as i did for the mash tun? Im not going to buy a false bottom but would the screen tube help or get in the way when i throw the chiller in? Do people use the screen tube in a kettle? or just mash tun? Sorry for the flurry of questions!

I got my stuff for a keggle conversion from NB. but the above link seems to have a better deal.

thanks for the heads up on greatbargain. i have been waiting for weeks for online stores to get some of the stuff i needed back in stock, and they have it all already!

good form!! :rockin:

Yeah i think ill order the SS bulkhead valve and barb for 31 this includes shipping... dont even know if home depot has a bulkhead??? anyone know?

I am also ready to do a keggle conversion.

Looks like there is a weld in version and a bulkhead option in the link(s) above. I have access to a skilled welder (it is good to have agricultural family) so can do the welded version but I am wondering if the bulkhead option would give me a greater degree of flexibility/re-do option for the future.

What do you think? If you had the option of welding or bulkheading which would you use?

I didnt find ANY SS at hardware stores only brass. So i ordered EVERYTHING from bargainfittings. I got the bulkhead/valve/barb, also the center dip tube, the thermometer sight and tubing. All for $106 shipped. At first i thought this was alot but i think its a decent deal? The small dip tube for 23 bucks was the only thing i huffed and puffed about.

Buy your fittings at http://www.greatbargain.net/order/index.html you won't find a better deal at a big box store. The o-rings are silicone and rated for the temps we use.

That's good to know. Brewed with my keggle last night for the first time, prior to installing the bulkhead, and the thing got HOT. Part os the sides of the bottom of the keggle are now that purple color so I was worried. Is this normal? I meant to check it again today after it cooled but forgot.

bargain fittings is awesome. the guy is great and easy to deal with. also, if you cant find something he wil find it for you. great operation he has there.

Hope the shipping is fast cuz im EXCITED!

He shipped mine same day and I got it in Albany 2 and a half days after I ordered. Bargainfittings.com is definitely the best, nothing in the area even carried the higher temp silicone o-rings.

Got my stuff, now wondering what size drill bit i need. Im getting conflicting info, his site says 3/16" - 7/8" in. another says 3/16" - 1/2" in. Not sure why it would only be 7/8 if its a 1/2 inch sized valve.

HD didnt carry SS. I bought a Kewler Kit from another company and screwed up on the length and the only place that could or would get me a long enough SS nipple for me was Bargain fittings! After ordering he now even carries that length in stock plus many more. He basically special ordered it for me and had it to me in no time at all so I bought a few other things from him just to say thanks and they shipped fast also! Good people(person)!

Back