Keg to bottle transfer changed to SRM color of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
This problem has occurred a few times now. The most recent was the most noticeable. I do keg to bottle transfers via the link below. The method really does work great and keeps carbonation kept. I just got my BJCP notes back from the NHC for my DIPA. Judges made comments on my beer being "brown" in color and "too dark" for an IPA. I thought this was hilarious because the SRM on the beer before i bottled it from the keg was about 6.4 (super light for a DIPA). I cracked one of the reserve bottles I had kept in the event I advanced to the finals and sure as **** it was light brown. Id say the beer changed from 6.4 SRM to about 15 SRM in color over about 5 weeks of time! Ive noticed slight color change in the past, but I thought this was pretty extreme this time. Id say the caramel malt flavor increased significantly as well. This seems to happen only if the beer is left for a good period of time in the bottles. If i transfer and drink within a week I notice no difference. Anyone have a theory or answer as to why this is happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet it's due to oxidation. Small amount of oxygen won't be noticeable if you bottle and send it off right away. However, if give time (you said they sat around) it could have and effect.

I'd be willing to bet it's due to oxidation. Small amount of oxygen won't be noticeable if you bottle and send it off right away. However, if give time (you said they sat around) it could have and effect.

Your probably right. Though I dont notice any diacetyl in the beer. Ive done this method several times and the color change hasnt ever been this bad. I was really surprised when i cracked one of the reserve beers, like i was drinking a super hoppy brown ale.

If your not purging your bottles with CO2 prior to filling then you are forcing some oxygen into your beer.

zodiak3000 said:
Your probably right. Though I dont notice any diacetyl in the beer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but oxidation doesn't bring about diacetyl. Oxidation causes a wet cardboard taste whereas diacetyl tastes like butterscotch and causes a slick mouth-feel

Back