Keg Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goop

Reaction score
ok, this might be a simple stupid question but i cannot find the answer anywhere. i've been bottling beer for quite a while now and just bought myself all the equipment for kegging. Now if i make a few batches force carbonate and keep them hooked up to the fridge they should last and age for a few months? the question i cant find is if i were to keep a keg of beer in a closet where i keep my bottled beer would it go bad? i dont see how that would be different than bottling if i were to natural carbonate beer that i wanted to age? to sum it up, is there a way to store a keg natural or forced carbonation without having to refrigerate it? and how is that different than bottles?

thanks for any feehttps://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/occasion14.gifdback

I "plan" to just throw my kegs into a closet and naturally carb them when I have a pipeline. Trouble is, I think I drink too much to have a pipeline.

Really though, I would advise to prime with sugar like you would for bottling. Find a room temp closet or storage space. Just burst with co2 to get out the air and seal the top.

I "plan" to just throw my kegs into a closet and naturally carb them when I have a pipeline. Trouble is, I think I drink too much to have a pipeline.

Really though, I would advise to prime with sugar like you would for bottling. Find a room temp closet or storage space. Just burst with co2 to get out the air and seal the top.

That's not right...you prime a keg with HALF the sugar you would use when bottling. About 2 - 2.5 oz should do it... ;)

I do concur with the burst of CO2 to ensure it's sealed. :mug:

ah sweet, thanks for all the quick replies. now i can make much more beer than i can fit into my fridge. good to have backup kegs ready to go.

When my beer is done in the primary (basement about 65F), I rack to kegs. Purge with CO2 and then put them back in the basement to clear and age. When I want to tap one, I force carb for a day or two in the fridge.

I think if you purge the keg with CO2 you should be fine aging it where you fermented it. There will be no O2 to cause any problems. There is no need for refrigeration until you tap it.

Make sure all the gaskets on your keg are in good condition... if not new. A small leak will drain all pressure over time.

Back