Keg smells like soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattstanke

Reaction score
Y wife got me two used kegs and it smells like soda. I have a LD Carlson easy clean and iodophor BTF sanitizer that I am going to use. I herd replacing the o-ring will help. Is there anything else I should do to get that smell out and will it make my beer smell or tast bad

Some guys use oxyclean but don't let it sit very long. It will pit the stainless steel. Change out the o-rings and give it a good clean and rinse with sanitizer. You should be good to go.

I soaked mine in Oxyclean and warm water for a few hours, it cleaned it right up. I think mine was in there for four hours or so. I didnt have any problems with pitting. I used half of the little scoop that comes with the Oxyclean, filled it with hot water, hit it with 15 psi to seal it, rolled it around a couple times to make sure it was covered, then went out for dinner and errands. Came back, emptied it. I let it sit overnight to make sure the smell wasnt going to come back, and filled it the next day.

Soda can affect the flavor of your beer. If it smells like soda I would definitely replace all 5 o-rings and clean it well. I just soaked mine in oxi-clean for a half hour, but they didn't have any residue or smell.

Replace the o-rings and soak in oxyclean. Stainless is not porous enough to absorb the soda stink permanently.

BTW - you may want to verify for yourself that oxyclean is going to pit your stainless steel. 'cause it doesn't pit mine.

-edit- Because I use OxyFree - as mentioned in the post below mine. +rep, JonGrafto. :)

pernox said:
Replace the o-rings and soak in oxyclean. Stainless is not porous enough to absorb the soda stink permanently.

BTW - you may want to verify for yourself that oxyclean is going to pit your stainless steel. 'cause it doesn't pit mine.

Make sure it is the oxyclean without chlorine. Chlorine will pit stainless steel.

get a dip tube brush. there will be dried on soda residue inside the dip tube and that is the only way you will get it out. then just dismantle all the valves, scrub everything, and replace the 5 gaskets.

Some guys use oxyclean but don't let it sit very long. It will pit the stainless steel.
no it wont, at all. the only thing to avoid using on s.steel is chlorine / bleach.

Make sure it is the oxyclean without chlorine.

no oxiclean formula has bleach or chlorine added. one of their main selling points is that it is a bleach alternative.

I don't think I've ever had a keg that didn't smell like soda before I used it. I use baking soda and let it soak. And there's really no reason not to replace o-rings on a keg. It's cheap enough and solves a bunch of potential problems.

Back