Quantcast

keg slightly under carbonated

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Hey,

So I have a keg I'm taking to a comp Saturday, and the beer is good, and definitely carbed, but just lacking a little bit.

the keg is pressurized at about 12 psi, refrigerated at around 40*, but there no gas line connected.

Do you think connecting the gas line and shaking it around at 12 psi would get it there? I can't refrigerate it and keep the line connected which is sort of a pain...

Advice?

brandonhagen1

Reaction score
Just take it out of the fridge and connect gas the beer is cold so don't shake or u could over Carb but it should Carb faster at cold temps

OP
h4mmy86

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Wish I had read that earlier!

I've been taking it out of the fridge, connecting the gas @ 12psi, laying the keg on it's side and shaking it around trying to get the gas to stop bubbling...

Live and learn I guess! I'm gonna pour a taster soon and see how it is..

Reaction score
If you have till saturday then I think BH1 is dead on- you could even just cycle it a couple times a day. Take it out and put it on 12psi for a few hours then put it back in the fridge, then take it out and carb. What kind of setup do you have that you can't just put the co2 tank / regulator in the fridge?

OP
h4mmy86

h4mmy86

Reaction score
My tank is a reconditioned 7 lb oxygen tank that stands taller than my keg and my lil fridge barely fits one keg. I guess I could make a hole in the fridge to run the gas line in if I really wanted to...

Poured that taster and it was actually about right! Maybe a lil on the high end, but it has about a 3 hour car ride to rattle a lil fizz out so I'm not sweating it too bad.