Keg size for fermenting

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Coookies58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I’d like to switch to fermenting in cornies. I like the ability to spund, transfer is simple, and cornies are cheaper than fancy stainless fermenters. I usually do 2.75 gallon batches and transfer to 2.5 gallon kegs. Would I be best served using 5 gallon kegs and not worrying about crazy Krausen and trub? Or go with 3 gallon kegs and use fermcap? Thanks all.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first thought was that you could get a used 5-gallon keg much cheaper than a 3-gallon keg, but I see AIH has some used 3-gallon kegs for a decent price: Home Brew Kegs - New and Used Kegs for Kegging Homebrew

5-gallon sounds about ideal though. You should be able to push up your wort volume a bit if you can to get a full 2.5 gals into your keg.

Last edited:
OP
Coookies58

Coookies58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was my initial thought. Only real benefit to the 3 gallon seems to be the need for a smaller fermentation fridge.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what size keg you go with I would recommend using a floating dip tube with filter. I fermenter in 1/4 barrel sanke kegs and started out using a shortened dip tube. Had nothing but problems with clogged posts when transferring Beer to serving keg. Switched to floating dip tube and last two beers have transferred with no problems.

OP
Coookies58

Coookies58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what size keg you go with I would recommend using a floating dip tube with filter. I fermenter in 1/4 barrel sanke kegs and started out using a shortened dip tube. Had nothing but problems with clogged posts when transferring Beer to serving keg. Switched to floating dip tube and last two beers have transferred with no problems.
Thanks

I believe that is likely in the cards. I planned to use them for serving beer anyway. What’s one more.