Keg shaking / sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb1677

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best forum for this but I well.

So long story short, I have been making 5 gallon all grain batches for a while and have always kegged. Recently I decided to start taking kegs to parties; to facilitate this I purchased 2 3gallon kegs. I typically wait for my beer to clear before doing a transfer and take 2 to 3 gallons to go. Even with transport the beer is still really clear.

So recently I did this process for the first time twice from a single keg, meaning I pulled 2.5 or so gallons off a cleared 5 gallon keg - beer was great, clear and was completely consumed at a party. A few days later I decided to transfer the remainder from the 5gallon keg to the small keg. I took this to a party and found that the contents were cloudy. I can only assume that when emptying the 5 gallon keg I got some sediment, and this sediment was shaken.

My question is, am I crazy or is this basically expected? Additionally the cloudy beer seemed to take on an entirely different flavor - what started as a crisp cream ale took on a different almost citrusy flavor. The first clear keg was much better tasting. (Conversely I did the same thing with a porter and somehow the second keg tasted fuller and better than the first!)

That sounds pretty normal. The cold crash sediment will actually change the flavor of the beer. I know that a bar in the area will wait upwards of 1.5 hours sometimes to tap a keg due to the sediment if they shake it up. How are you transferring the beer is the question. Siphon or using transfer hoses? You should take and pull a pint or more from your 5 gallon keg and toss it before drinking. That should normally get rid of your cold crash sediment. Are you doing this?

Back