Keg setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I'm slowly putting together the pieces for a kegerator. I want to get a couple 5 gal ball locks.
When ordering these kegs, what else is needed (just the components for the keg)?
If I wanted to go with the John Guest fittings, what exactly is needed and where would be the best place to get the fittings and tubing?
What's the best size tubing for the liquid and gas lines?

When ordering used kegs, just make sure they are pressure tested at the distributor. They will come with everything you need, but many people will install new o-rings right out of the box. I would keep spare o-rings and poppets on hand to use as needed. I don't see any advantage of using push-fit fittings. You would only want this on the gas side anyway as the liquid side needs beverage tubing. MFL/FFL fittings work great, I would recommend you put these on all your tubing.
Beer line is 3/16", you will need 6-15' per faucet depending on serving pressure. It will fit over a 1/4" barb if you apply some heat. Order 1 gas (grey) and 1 liquid (black) ball lock QD for each faucet, then order 2 more of each. Gas line size doesn't really matter, I use 1/4" as to fit my FFL fittings; just make sure the tubing can handle 50+ psi. Make sure to have check valves on all gas outlets; MFL shutoff check valves are ideal. A bag or two of small SS worm clamps.
Outside of this you will need faucets, shafts, regulator(s), and gas tank(s).

I cannot recommend the keg connection guys enough, they are experts in this stuff and can defiantly help you pick out parts.

+1 ^ @mredge73

Definitely use MFL connectors, easy to disassemble for cleaning. Consider using (correctly sized) Oetiker clamps instead of regular worm gear hose clamps to clamp the line onto the swivel nut barbs permanently. A pair of pinching pliers will work fine to "crimp" the ear, no expensive tool required.

I would consider using BevSeal Ultra "glass" barrier line for your beer. The John Guest "push-fit" fittings are the best/easiest as it is very difficult to slide that line over a barb without damaging it, but it is possible by heating in boiling water and swaging. Those fittings are designed for semi-rigid line, you cannot use them with the regular soft Vinyl/PVC lines like Bevlex 200.

If you are going with BevSeal Ultra, count on using 16-24' per tap, since their resistance is very low (they're slick) and they're actually wider, at 0.20" ID, not 0.1875 (3/16). BevSeal Ultra is totally taste free, even after beer has been sitting in there for 2 weeks or longer.

I use 1/4" Bevlex 200 line for gas. They are transparent, so I can see if any beer got in, which sometimes happens. 3/16" or 5/16" work just as well, the diameter is not critical for gas.

Also check out RiteBrew and Birdman Brewing. There are others.

You can find reconditioned "real ball lock" kegs for $40-50 looking for the right offer. Adventures in Homebrewing and other vendors often have them on sale in 4 packs. I'd stay away from converted pin locks (sometimes advertised as low profile), less will fit in your keezer/kegerator since they're wider. Learn about both kinds to know their differences and how to spot which is which from 10' distance.

Even brand new ones can be had for $75. They're made in China, but have favorable reviews. You need at least 2, but 4 or more is better. ;)

@islandlizard

really love morebeer.com personallly, but i bought a few pieces from ritebrew as well.

Get good beer lines not cheap tubing from Home Depot.
Hands down #1 thing to get is a Perlick flow control tap and enjoy Zero foaming headaches with the 5 ft lines the tower comes with(If you get a tower)
Take a good long look at sixtel kegs. There better in every way..except keg hopping

I'll probably order the BevSeal tubing from Birdman (50') along with the fittings. The other components may come from Kegconnection.
Still open to looking at other places to order. Would prefer to get everything from one place.
So you guys recommend replacing the taps with the flow control Perlicks?
Thanks for all the info.

I'll probably order the BevSeal tubing from Birdman (50') along with the fittings. The other components may come from Kegconnection.
Still open to looking at other places to order. Would prefer to get everything from one place.
So you guys recommend replacing the taps with the flow control Perlicks?
Thanks for all the info.

FWIW, Perlick 650SS flow control faucets are $48 at Ritebrew vs. $60 at KegConnection. Disconnects are $2 less at Ritebrew, etc.

From what I've heard, flow control is indeed great. I can't tell, I've never used any. You won't need as much line as the restrictor valve creates the needed back pressure to prevent foaming.

I like MoreBeer too, often use them for pricing and reference. The last few times I got a better deal with Ritebrew.

damn good call, priced out the parts i need to finish my keezer on ritebrew and its i think... 28.00 cheaper even with shipping :\

RiteBrew does have some really good prices.
Here's what I have come up with. Does this list seem correct for a two keg setup?
BevSeal Ultra Tubing
John Guest Adaptor 5/16" to 1/4" x4
Oetiker Clamps
Ball Lock Gas Keg Coupler 1/4" MFL x2
Swivel Nut 1/4: FFL to 1/4" barb
Ball Lock Liquid Keg Coupler 1/4" barb x2
CO2 Tubing

What about poppets, etc?

You can certainly find one item cheaper at this store than at that store so shopping around is a good idea. But I will say that Zach at Keg Connection will lay out a plan for you that works. I use Keg Connection as well as others, but Zach's help is more valuable to me than saving 50 cents on an item elsewhere.

You can certainly find one item cheaper at this store than at that store so shopping around is a good idea. But I will say that Zach at Keg Connection will lay out a plan for you that works. I use Keg Connection as well as others, but Zach's help is more valuable to me than saving 50 cents on an item elsewhere.

I sent an email to Keg Connection this morning- still waiting on a reply. They seem to take a while as I emailed them before and took 2-3 days for a reply.

Which is fine when you are new to it. Advice is worth its weight in gold.

I sent an email to Keg Connection this morning- still waiting on a reply. They seem to take a while as I emailed them before and took 2-3 days for a reply.

I noted the same thing. I skipped the emails and called direct which worked more timely.

Which is fine when you are new to it. Advice is worth its weight in gold.

You are very on target that advice is helpful to novice keggers. Getting into kegging is sometimes confusing and advice can be golden. I'd say this is where Keg Connection is most helpful.

Another excellent resource is Bobby M at Brew Hardware. I was working on a beer line recirc cleaner and the fountain pump I bought just didn't push enough cleaner thru to make more than a trickle. Bobby did some math with me to determine the lift I needed for my complicated system. He recommended a 1/6 hp pump from HF which I bought and it worked like a charm. Bobby made nothing on transaction but he gained my trust and loyalty.

Yes, dual Taprite.

Absolutely. Taprite "add a body" can gang multiple bodies off one regulator so you can have unique or individual pressures with each body. Not sure, but I think you can run 3 maybe 4 bodies off one regulator/tank with each body offering a different pressure.

I use dual bodies so I can run a 4 way manifold off one body (these are at the same pressure), then have one line with unique psi to use for carbing, high carb volume beers, low psi beer transfers/bottling....etc. Lots of flexibility.

Back