Keg set up help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warndogg

Reaction score
So here is my situation. I got a keg system set up recently and I am wondering what I did wrong. I took my chilled ball lock keg filled with beer and let it sit for 48 hrs at 30 psi. I then pulled the pressure release (to purge I guess), and set the gauge to 10 psi for serving. Beer was great for about 4 days then yesterday I went to pour a pint and I was out of pressure. I found that my lid was leaking. :( I just reattached my lid, no leaks this time. Here is my question: Now do I hit it with 30 psi to get a good seal then purge? Or can I just turn it to 10 psi and forget it? It seems like if I am using 30 psi to seal lid then purge doesn't that counter act the 30 psi seal?

Make sure there is keg lube on the o ring and set it at serving pressure. Spray sanitizer over lid and make sure it doesn't leak. If it does, you will have to do the 30 psi sealing. Releasing the pressure doesn't unseal it. Think of setting the bead on a tire, once it is fitted, that wont break the seal unless it os forcibly separated.

+1 on the spray. it will tell you if you have a leak. then when you dump the pressure i would do it again. check all your lines for leaks. I had this happen after a year of no problems. The lube is also a good idea but i have never used it and had good results.

Thanks guys I think I solved it. I know its ghetto but I sprayed some pam on the seal. No leaks now.:rockin: Also good to know about the pressure release.

Back