Keg serving pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekcw83

Reaction score
I have noticed that after filling and carbonating my 4th keg in my keezer, I am getting a little less pressure out of the faucet on all of my kegs. Is this normal? My thoughts about justifying this is that there is more air space for the tank to fill which takes longer to equalize as you're serving beer out of the faucet. I assume it doesn't necessarily affect the carbonation levels since it should equalize shortly after closing the tap. Am I correct?

This shouldn't be the case. Regardless of how many kegs you have on tap, the pour rate should always be the same as long as you are only pouring from 1 tap at a time. Carbonation will not be affected because co2 is replacing the beer as you pour. Each keg will stay at the set regulator pressure every time you pour. The temperature and regulator pressure determine the carbonation level.

Otoh...in ~10 years running 6-tap keezers I've noticed that as head space increases the CO2 regulator response varies significantly. Eg on a full keg with little head space the regulator will react quickly when a glass is poured, while on a near empty keg I may not hear any gas moving through the regulator until a successive pour.

I assume this is due to the fact that a CO2 regulator has limited sensitivity to pressure drop and drawing down a nearly empty keg may not provide enough of a head space pressure drop to trigger the regulator...

Cheers!

Back