Keg sanitizing, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I'm about to get my keezer rolling and have 2 keg's worth of beer ready to go. I am planning to soak kegs in PBW, including diassembling the posts, valves, etc. to make sure everything is good and clean. I'm assuming this is a good idea?

Questions:
1. After reassembly, can I just put in a half gallon or so of StarSan, put on the lid and shake it around to make sure all surfaces are contacted, plus blow some out through the diptube to sanitize it, then empty the keg and close it up....ready to go?
2. Is it recommended that the keg be fully disassembled and cleaned betwen each batch or is just sanitizing it good enough?

Any other tips on keg cleaning/mainenance are welcome.

Thanks.

I'm about to get my keezer rolling and have 2 keg's worth of beer ready to go. I am planning to soak kegs in PBW, including diassembling the posts, valves, etc. to make sure everything is good and clean. I'm assuming this is a good idea?
YES! Don't forget new o'rings & lube them up with some keg lube.

1. After reassembly, can I just put in a half gallon or so of StarSan, put on the lid and shake it around to make sure all surfaces are contacted, plus blow some out through the diptube to sanitize it, then empty the keg and close it up....ready to go?
Yup! Be sure to spray your beer out connector and post with Starsan before connecting. Run that Starsan out through your intended beer line.

2. Is it recommended that the keg be fully disassembled and cleaned betwen each batch or is just sanitizing it good enough?
Some people do. I don't. Maybe every 5-10 batches or so...

here's a good rebuild & general keg info guide. Illustrated Beer Brewing Primer - Kegging and Conditioning

Thanks...some new O-rings came with the kegs....even though the current ones look good, I guess I'll go ahead and replace.

I disassemble and clean between each use--- it lets me ensure that no funk is building up in the poppets (hops can easily get stuck in the spring) or tubes and I can inspect all the seals.

Even with complete teardown it is less work than cleaning and sanitizing bottles and the extra 10 minutes added to the process is really inconsequential.

Also--- save the old O-rings if they are in good shape--- it never hurts to have backups.

Fine, but be sure to keep the parts from each keg separate - don't mix them. Sometimes they just don't fit together right.

I have found that the new o-rings are essential. I won't put beer into a new-to-me used keg anymore without changing the o-rings..... ONE off-flavor experience was all it took:

Dr. PailAle anyone????

hehehehe.....!

Seems that the Dr. Pepper and Rootbeer really hold a lot of odor/flavor in those o-rings. I replace every o-ring (except the poppets - unless they leak) and haven't had any off soda flavors since.

Yep, even good looking o-rings usually stink of the soda syrup.

Especially if some numb nut made root beer in the keg right after he replaced the o-rings...and got to replace them again.

But...uh, that wasn't me...

Latest posts

Back