Keg putting in for vacation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutattheDevil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning a driving trip for along weekend and wanted to bring a 5gal corny out as a surprise to my family that im staying with. Were going to be there a total of 3 days. My question to the masses since I'm am not well traveled on the keg path is: can I charge my corny for a few days prior to the trip and still get good pressure and carbonation without taking along a CO2 tank and regulator? I know normally the tank and hoses would be a definite way to go but I didn't know if I would be ok doing without. As Always I appreciate the help and input!

Cheers!

sure! The keg is like a giant bottle. As long as there's about 25 psi in it before you leave, you'll be fine. Try to keep it from getting too warm as this will cause the pressure in the headspace to go through the roof, although these kegs will take something like 125 psi without a problem. And the family has gas and taps, right? You're going to want to stick it in the fridge overnight, at least, to let it settle before you tap it.

Well I had read a few places and head that I if I got a good enough charge before hand I wouldn't need to take any gas or tubes and just pretty much tap the corny off with a picnic tap and pour it like you would any other keg. That I guess would be my main question more so than the beer being travel worthy on the initial charge.

I would think you'll need to pressurize it some way to dispense the whole keg. You can get one of those mini chargers and use that for dispensing if the beer is carbed to your liking.

D37.JPG

Good stuff thats what i figured, that or one of the paintball style set ups. Just wanted to see how hard my chain was getting yanked on the... "no tubes attached" set up

Thanks guys!

I would think you'll need to pressurize it some way to dispense the whole keg. You can get one of those mini chargers and use that for dispensing if the beer is carbed to your liking.

D37.JPG

Yup.
Your Brew Store should have the little co2 dispensing units for about $20 including the ball lock connection.

4570.jpg

Back