Keg PRV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of kegs recently. Okay, I bought too many kegs. But it was hard to pass up a good deal and I was able to sneak them inside when my wife wasn’t home.

Anyway, a couple have this thing that I don’t recognize where the prv would normally be. I assume I need to replace this part? Or is it just a different looking prv?

Attachments

• E7E702AE-15C7-4E6A-B6CE-FF534B57D3EC.jpeg
    E7E702AE-15C7-4E6A-B6CE-FF534B57D3EC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 22FD0FB9-EA74-4551-8A81-7704EE4D2A85.jpeg
    22FD0FB9-EA74-4551-8A81-7704EE4D2A85.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
I bought a bunch of kegs recently. Okay, I bought too many kegs. But it was hard to pass up a good deal and I was able to sneak them inside when my wife wasn’t home.

Anyway, a couple have this thing that I don’t recognize where the prv would normally be. I assume I need to replace this part? Or is it just a different looking prv?
That looks like a PRV. An inconvenient one but a PRV.
Looks like the only way to blow-off pressure is by the gas port.
You should be able to see the disc from the bottom.

Edit: It doesn't look replaceable, but no ned to if it works. Cleaning might be a PITA.

I would suspect so or somewhere slightly below.
They used to make rebuild parts that one could replace, but haven't seen them in a while.
I've replace a few of my lids with the pull ring variety and I had one of those, that I simply filled with hot glue, seeing that I'll never get it anywhere close to the service limit.

Those are static relief valves found on many of the old pin lock keg lids. If it isn’t leaking, there’s no need to replace it. They aren’t adjustable and can’t be operated manually. They are getting hard to find, and if you do, they’ll likely be expensive. I bought some from AIH/ Austin Homebrew Supply a while back for $7.34 each, but I see they’re out of stock now. This place has some and they’re considerably more. They look like this when removed.
5FFAB787-1D61-487E-9D66-F3E2DF82602E.jpeg2D144E63-965C-4903-B77E-D13978BA0FB9.png
The lids are interchangeable and would be a last chance option.A31AF3D0-8B92-4EB4-A894-ECD56786CB3D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back