Keg Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbankert

Reaction score
I was given this compact keg system for Christmas, but I'm having a problem and am looking for some advice on what the problem might be
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPACT_BEVERAGE_SYSTEM_P1796C44.cfm

This is my first time kegging, so I don't know too much about it. I filled my keg and let it condition for about 2 weeks, I then hooked up my filled CO2 tank to it following the directions given. The initial reading on the regulator was about 600psi, after it was in the refriderator over night, it was reading about 500psi (I read that this would happen because of the colder temp).
I then set the psi for dispensing at about 5 or so, and poured myself my first draft beer- and it was wonderful!
But 3 days later, and not too many beers later, the regulator is reading 0 and I'm out of CO2....
The directions say that a 20 oz CO2 tank should be able to dispense 2 2.5 gallon kegs.

I'm sure I have a leak somewhere, but don't know how to find it and how to solve the problem.
Thanks for any infor that you can give me

First, get a bigger tank! You'll be thankful you did.
Did you hit the keg hard with the C02 to get a good seal? I'm talking like 30 psi. To test for leaks, after you hit it hard to get the seal spray all fittings with a soap/water solution and look for blowing bubbles.

Also, did you use keg lube?

Just a few first attack things to find the source of the problem. It could be something totally different.

I do plan on getting a larger CO2 tank at some point, as well as more kegs

I didn't pressurize the keg when I filled it as I hadn't found a spot to have my tank filled yet- Is it still beneficial to do this after the keg has conditioned? Also, after hitting it to 30psi, so i leave it like that?
I didn't use keg lube either- that could be part of the problem
thanks for the suggestions

Sounds like you have a leak.

That's the most common advice I see on this board is to hit it with 30 PSI to get your keg to seal. But often if it leaks at 5 PSI and seals at 30 it'll start to leak again once you go back to 5 PSI. I had one do that just yesterday!

Hitting a cornie with high pressure is a little trick sellers use so they can sell a cornie that leaks.

Also if it leaks at 5 PSI but seals up a 30 PSI that's not going to do you any good because 30 PSI will over carbonate your beer and you'll get nothing but foam if you try to dispense that high.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is that a keg should seal up with very little pressure, if it doesn't you've got a problem that needs to be fixed.

I use cornie kegs as secondary fermenters and they self seal from the fermentation process or they get worked on until they do.

Keg lub may help. Also try rotating your cornie lid 180* sometimes that helps. Or just wiggle the lid around to make sure it seals properly.

The soapy water advice is good or Star-San sparyed on the lid and gas posts will bubble if you have a leak. I like the star-san better than soapy water because you don't have to worry about any soapy water getting into your beer.

Always check for leaks. It could be your gas post, the lid, pressure relief valve. or the connectors at your CO2 tank, regulator or gas connector.

On a keg that small, you could also fill a rubbermaid bin up with water and dunk the whole keg (with pressure on it of course). That will show any leaks in the fittings or in the keg lid itself. On the regulator side, I'd just spray the connections down with soapy water.

Thanks for all the responses,

here's a new issue though, I went out and bought a 5# CO2 tank today, hooked up the regulator and everything, turned the tank on just a little, and there was a noticable hiss- meaning there is a leak. Am I missing a part that helps connect the regulator to the CO2 tank? it seems like there should be some kind of washer or something that provides a good seal.

There should have been a plastic washer that goes inside the "female" portion of the regulator that attaches to the "male" portion of the tank. a) one should have come with the regulator b) it would have been nice that the shop you bought the tank from gave you one. My gas/welding supply shop gives me one everytime I fill the tank. They are a $.02 piece of plastic. Kind of like what's inside a garden hose.

Sorry for my lack of technical terms...I do my best.

I like the 180* and wiggle technique myself. I have a few kegs that will only seal if the lid is on the right way(sometimes there's a reason there's a reason pepsi dosn't want them anymore!). If it's in the wrong way I have to turn it around. Had the same problem you did, empty tank... heheh, only takes once(most times, lol!)

I heard of people receiving their regulators with the gasket "wired" to it and the just remove it and discard it without thinking twice. You can use an Oring too or cut yourself one out of the lid on a coffee can.

make sure all those connections are tight. I thought the olicher clamps that held my disconnects onto the hoses were surely tight. The system was new, so there shouldn't be any problems, right? WRONG. Every single connection in the system leaked. Not enough to make soapy water bubble up noticeably, but once they were dunked in a bucket of water it was clear. I replaced all the clamps with automotive screw clamps and replaced all of the O-rings in all of my kegs, and I'm leak free. The o-rings on the posts are a pain to check because if the disconnects can be rocked or twisted any leak can be there one minute and gone the next. They're cheap enough, so I just replaced them all. The ones for the lid are impossible to find around here, so I just ordered them.

Back