Keg problems...lots of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Tapped a wit and a cream ale this is my 3rd kegged beer. no problems with the first two. force carbed this ipa for 4 days at 35 psi in a 38 degree frige. i had cold crashed it for 3 days in the same fridge prior to kegging. went to taste it last night. of course it is the best beer i ever made in 50+ batches, and i cant drink it. bled keg down. repressurized with 8 psi just to get a sample. filled a whole pitcher of foam, only could get beer out of it if i held it open for 15-20 seconds then beer comes out. i hate to waste it cuz i know foam=beer.

so what am i doing wrong? i have no problems with the system before so i am not sure. thanks everyone.

also i have two kegs hooked up at once to one regulator....forced carbed both at the same time and bled both at the same time. the other one is a cream ale which i screwed up and tastes like ****

4 days at 35 psi ? You overcarbed it. I only go 36 hours at 30 psi. You'll have to shake it vigorously and release the pressure. I've never had this problem, so others will have to give you more detail on bringing the carbonation down. Next time try a sample at 36 hours and if it's not carbed enough for you let it go another 6-8 hours.

QUOTE=Frank99;2199291]4 days at 35 psi ? You overcarbed it. I only go 36 hours at 30 psi. You'll have to shake it vigorously and release the pressure. I've never had this problem, so others will have to give you more detail on bringing the carbonation down. Next time try a sample at 36 hours and if it's not carbed enough for you let it go another 6-8 hours.[/QUOTE]

I searched a lot more on here. i just figured since my last 2 werent very carbonated this would be the way to go. and i was busy the last few days and didnt have time.

i searched on here and the idea was that shaking the keg will get the excess co2 out of suspension, which it did. shook the keg and kept blowing off the pressure. there was so much pressure in there :mad:

ok so lesson learned. went out there an hour later and poured a great pint, a little cloudy and undercarbonated but tastes awesome. i freaked and thought i wouldnt be able to get it right once i got that much in there.

36-48 hrs at 30 psi is all i need. cool.

now i can get to drinking the keg that much faster. no harm no foul.

Foam is caused by both over pressure and under pressure, so you need to figure what the built in pressure is inside the keg and then add a couple of pounds more to move the beer.
Vent the keg, take the temp of the keg, find how much Co2 is in suspension from the pressure chart, add a couple more pounds than in the chart. you should be good, less foam. Please note you need to use a long no foam picnic tap to dispense.

Foam is caused by both over pressure and under pressure, so you need to figure what the built in pressure is inside the keg and then add a couple of pounds more to move the beer.
Vent the keg, take the temp of the keg, find how much Co2 is in suspension from the pressure chart, add a couple more pounds than in the chart. you should be good, less foam. Please note you need to use a long no foam picnic tap to dispense.

Yes they told me that at the store, i have 7.5 ft of the double layer good hose on the picnic tap. i think i just overcarbed for wayy too long. once i shook the keg and let off the pressure it was like old faithful. haha i learned one this time!

4 days at 35 psi ? You overcarbed it. I only go 36 hours at 30 psi. You'll have to shake it vigorously and release the pressure. I've never had this problem, so others will have to give you more detail on bringing the carbonation down. Next time try a sample at 36 hours and if it's not carbed enough for you let it go another 6-8 hours.

+1 I usually chill the beer and do 30 psi for 48 hours and and check it then. I then set it at the maintenance/serving pressure of 12-13 psi unless a particular style requires something different. After the 48 hours I make minor adjustments as needed to get it where I want it.

If you are cold crashing three days before force carbing, you can use a lot less CO2. When beer is colder, it is more soluble to CO2.

I cold crash all my beers for a minimal of two days. My last pale ale I FCed at 25#s with a 5 minutes "shake" and let sit undisturbed for about 8 hours (disconnected) in my fridge. I did this before work, I got home and sampled it and it was perfect. I was pleasantly surprised at how well that worked!

Back