Keg pressure after chilling for 24hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_B

Reaction score
So I just kegged my first ever brew and followed the instructions from my LHBS. The instructions say to pressurize the keg to 10psi and let sit in fridge for 1 day to reach chilled temp. When I took the keg out today to burst carbonate the beer, I noticed the keg lost the 10psi I had put in it yesterday. Is this normal due to the drop in temperature? I checked the keg for leaks yesterday and didn't notice any, so I am hoping all is good!

What do you mean the "keg lost the 10psi". How are you measuring the psi in your keg? The psi on the gauge is measuring the psi flowing from the tank into the regulator (and thus out to the kegs). If the needle on the regulator is at zero, crank it back up to 10. Mine has dropped off before to zero for no apparent reason before. The CO2 pumped into the keg will still be in the keg at the forced pressure of 10psi unless there is a leak in the seal.

All could be good, or it could be that there was not enough pressure to seal the gasket properly.
I usually put in 30 psi or so ( because the head space is so small, pressure is lost quickly as it absorbs). I wait a couple of days. If I have to bleed off a little, I do.

What do you mean the "keg lost the 10psi". How are you measuring the psi in your keg? The psi on the gauge is measuring the psi flowing from the tank into the regulator (and thus out to the kegs). If the needle on the regulator is at zero, crank it back up to 10. Mine has dropped off before to zero for no apparent reason before. The CO2 pumped into the keg will still be in the keg at the forced pressure of 10psi unless there is a leak in the seal.

What I meant is that when I hooked the reg back up and set it to 10psi, the tank took the air as if it was empty. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't losing the pressure somewhere it shouldn't be.

Did you hit it with 10psi then disconnect the tank? Co2 get's absorbed when it chills.
Is it your guage you're saying changed the pressue it's displaying? If the CO2 tnak is in the fridge, the guage will drop when it gets cold, that's why the guy told you let it get to its "chilled tmep". Once it's chilled put it back to 10-12 psi at ~40° and wait 2 weeks. Then serve.
As a precaution hit it with 30 psi, spray all connections with soapy water. I use star san solutionina spray bottle. Look for leaking bubbles. If none are found, turn pressure down to 10-12psi, vent the keg a few times, let it sit a couple weeks.

What I meant is that when I hooked the reg back up and set it to 10psi, the tank took the air as if it was empty. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't losing the pressure somewhere it shouldn't be.

Oh. Don't disconnect the gas. The tank took the "air" because the "air" you pumped into it last night was absorbed by the beer.

Back