Keg Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Did a search and didn't come up with anything so hopefully someone could answer this or point me to a previous post.

I just bought my first keg and was cleaning it Sat. Took everything apart and didn't pay attention when taking the posts off, so I was wondering if it matters what side the posts are put back on the keg and if so, how you tell which is which.

Thanks

PS I have already transfered my beer into it and am conditioning it with 1/2 the amount of sugar then if I was bottling. If I got the posts wrong, would it be ok to still switch them out?

I guess it kind of depends on what kind of kegs you have. You probably have ball-lock kegs. If you have pin-lock kegs the posts with three "needles" coming off the posts are typically your beer line.

Some of my kegs have a groove on the bottom that would lead to the beer metal column that goes to the posts. This helps determine which side the beer post goes on.

I only have pin-lock kegs and someone might have to chime in on those but I would assume if you couldn't tell which side to use for your beer/gas posts because you keg is full it shouldn't matter which side you use.

Shouldn't be a problem to switch the posts (although I wouldn't switch them if you didn't have to). Just release the pressure and make sure you release pressure from the gas side (if you have pin-lock kegs and no pressure relief valve) or you'll get a beer shower.

The ball lock posts LOOK to be the same but one of them is slightly larger in diameter. I don't have them so I don't know which, but let someone chime in that knows for sure before you get a connector stuck on.

I have the ball lock on all three of my kegs - I'll check tonight when I get home and see if I can discern a difference for ya.

Something sticks in my mind about the nut connection at the base of each one being different, and this being a way to ID them - one is a star and one is standard, but both 7/16th...

It does matter as the in post is to push gas in the short little dip tube and the out post is to let the beer out. They are different sizes and if you jam the wrong connector on to the post you are going to break the connector. There are usually little tell tales built into the gas side, for example there will be little notches cut horizontally into the bolt part or the gas in will be set up like a multi point star.

all of my in and out had different threads so it was easy since I had put all the posts in one bag. on some cornelius there is a groove that locates the diptube correctly. make sure to align the groove or removing the diptube next time will be difficult.

this might help http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/KegThreadSizes.htm some one posted this some time ago and I saved the link.

I just learned a few weekends ago with my first kegs that it does matter which side the posts are on. I had 2 of 4 correct, and had to change 2 of them the morning of the party after they weren't going on the posts so easily (It was very easy to do, no problems whatsoever- just purge out the CO2 first with the relief valve). They appear to be exactly alike, but one of them has a slightly tapered part of it. If you look close, you will see the difference.

ok I have the ball-lock kegs (bought from NB). I have one post which has 6 sides and I put that on the "in" side (stamp on plastic), the other is 12 sides (or points) and that on is on the "out" side. They went on fine, no problems with the threads.

I did make sure when I put the tubes back in I put them in correctly (long tube in the out).

Looking at the post I put on the "in" side it looks like it has more of a lip (taper) at the top of the post.

Ok after searching the net I found this:

Gas Post: (In)
gas.jpg

Liquid Post: (Out)
liquid.jpg

Thanks for all the help :)

How do you remove pin-lock posts ?

I have 4 PinLock and 2 ball lock...

The Ball lock was easy - 11/16 deep socket...

Not so with pin lock ... should I just use a regular wrench ?

Ok after searching the net I found this:

Gas Post: (In)
gas.jpg

Liquid Post: (Out)
liquid.jpg

Thanks for all the help :)
This subject has been done several times in the past.

Note the size of the flange below the o-ring. If you get confused which is which just attach the QD before screwing it in place.

With quick disconnects (QDs) remember this: grey = gas, black = beer (G-G-B-B).

Saw the link to Midwest supplies.

Ordered the special socket for pin-lock post removal.

Shocking price, after paying only $5.99 for the 11/16 deep socket to care for the ball-lock..

I will be ready to prepare all 6 of them, now that I have the right tools.

Back