Keg Post Tool.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 Corny kegs, and they have a funny star shaped bottom. I was able to take the post apart using a pair of plyers. Is there a special tool I need to take this off? If so anyone know where I can get one? I have a couple of mre newbie questions that I will post later. Thanks for all the help.

Tom

You'll need a 12-point socket. You can get a set at lowes. I would tell you the size, but I just received a set of 3 kegs and there are at least 2 different size hex and 12-point requirements.

Anyway, the point is, hit an automotive/hardware store and get a set of 12-point DEEP-WELL sockets. You'll be set.

There are two different size keg posts for ball lock kegs. They are 11/16" and 7/8". The 7/8" with the 'star' pattern is the gas in post. Be careful not to mix up the posts!. As stated above, a 12 point deep socket or box wrench will fit it.

FWIW, a twelve point socket will fit both a twelve point and a six point fastener. A six point socket will only fit a six point fastener. Just food for thought when it comes time to decide which socket set to get.

I found a couple of box end wrenches at Harbor Freight for $1 each- works well for me (as above, they are 12 point).

Thanks everyone. mine are a mix of 7/8 and 11/16. I have one that has a regular 6 sided nut on both the gas and out side. If I were to take them off and mix them up (No I have not done that yet) is there a way to tell them apart?

Here is a photo of some different style ball lock gas in posts. The twelve point 'star' style is not pictured here, but you can see that these clearly all have notches cut into the flats that signify that they are gas in posts. The liquid out posts, whether they are 11/16" or 7/8" will be six sided and have no notches machined into the 'flats'.

keg-posts.jpg

eager_brewer said:
Thanks everyone. mine are a mix of 7/8 and 11/16. I have one that has a regular 6 sided nut on both the gas and out side. If I were to take them off and mix them up (No I have not done that yet) is there a way to tell them apart?
Yes, remember gray is gas and black is beer (or GG and BB). Gas is IN and beer is OUT. If your gray quick disconnect doesn't fit on one try the other...that one will be your IN post. :D

easiest way to tell is the notches. if for any reason the notches have been scratched away or undiscernable, you can compare the posts. the liquid will have a thicker retaining ring around the post, i believe. someone can correct me if i am wrong.

Back